Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon Viewfinder Magnifier Advice

Real Name
    Dave

Nikon Viewfinder Magnifier Advice

I use a Nikon D70s. The small size of the viewfinder is making it difficult, now that I wear glasses, to review the entire area that I'm framing. In bright light situations the status display at the bottom of the screen can be harder to see. The diopter adjustment is adjusted perfect for my glasses.

Has anyone had any experience with viewfinder magnifiers on this model of camera? I've heard that some degrade the full field of view and are better for macro photography.

Real Name
    John

Re: Nikon Viewfinder Magnifier Advice

I've heard of viewfinder adapters but not magnifiers. Is it that the viewfinder is uncomfortable?

http://dx.com/p/universal-viewfinder...adapters-11206

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Hate to say it, but the small viewfinder was one of the main reasons I went to a full-frame (D800) camera from my D90. I have never found a solution other than removing my glasses to shoot.

Real Name
    Dave

The viewfinder is comfortable enough - it's just that the size of the view is so small. Also, unless you are looking directly through it it can be hard to see the status information at the bottom of the viewfinder display.... you have to position your plane of view directly in line with the viewfinder and this can be difficult when the camera is mounted lower down on a tripod.

I might have a play with the diopter and see if it can compensate to my natural eyesight (without glasses).

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DaveFergy View Post
    The viewfinder is comfortable enough - it's just that the size of the view is so small. Also, unless you are looking directly through it it can be hard to see the status information at the bottom of the viewfinder display.... you have to position your plane of view directly in line with the viewfinder and this can be difficult when the camera is mounted lower down on a tripod.

I might have a play with the diopter and see if it can compensate to my natural eyesight (without glasses).
    That really depends on how good or bad your eyes are. I'm okay with the diopter adjustment, but if your eyes are outside of the range it handles, you can get supplemental diopter eye piece that attach to your viewfinder.

Real Name
    Robin

I use a Nikon D70s.
    Me too! using a D70s, but I do not have to wear glasses to look at the icons,
    I have the diopter wound right up.

Must be something about us Kiwis using older cameras!

Real Name
    Dave

Anyone had any experience with the Nikon 1.3x clip on, or the OEM magnifiers from Tenpa or Seagul?

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

The diopter adjustment is adjusted perfect for my glasses..
    Don't wear the glasses when looking through the VF. Set the diopter adjustment for your eyesight, not for your glasses. That's what it's for.

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Don't wear the glasses when looking through the VF. Set the diopter adjustment for your eyesight, not for your glasses. That's what it's for.
    Dave's eyesight, like mine, may be well outside the adjustment. My 60D goes to -3 diopters. I need -7.5. Most of the time, I shoot with contacts and leave the adjustment at zero.

Real Name
    Dave

I can adjust the diopter and use the view finder without my glasses just fine... it's set at the outer limit but still crisp. Only problem is that I then have to put my glasses on again to see all the knobs, dials and buttons aside from exposure and aperture.

The underlying problem here remains the size of the viewfinder on the D70S - it's one of the drawbacks of this camera body - too small! So if anyone has any experience with the viewfinder magnifiers to overcome this design limitation I'd be grateful.