Thread: Nikon D5200

Real Name
    Blake

Nikon D5200

Having played with the camera today (we just got it in the store), I must say, I'm impressed. I would give this camera a "highly recommended."

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Nikon D5200

Quote Originally Posted by blakemcguire View Post
    Having played with the camera today (we just got it in the store), I must say, I'm impressed. I would give this camera a "highly recommended."
    Did you buy it Blake? (ah, no, perhaps you work in the store?)

I'm wondering what I'll get if my D5000 bites the dust suddenly - plus, a couple of well used buttons on the D5000 are getting finnickity to operate after almost 50,000 (shutter) clicks in 3.5 years.

I really don't need files that big (24MP) - can't see the point; 18MP would have been fine, or even stay at the 16MP of the D5100, it is unlikely the mid-range Nikkor lenses I use will do any better with 24MP.

The 'should be better' AF is a draw, as is the improved iso range, 920k dot LCD.
    I can get most of that on the D5100, but since I upgrade so rarely, I'd rather have missed the 'model in the middle'.

Of course, I'd love a D7100 (if they ever release one), but I suspect that will have a fixed LCD screen - and a tilting LCD is essential for me to get low/high angles with Live View, while I may not need it often, when I do, it is invaluable, given I'm not so supple these days (read 'decrepit').

Also concerned at rumours of battery life on D5100/5200, my D5000 does so very well for me, it would be a shame to need two spare batteries instead of one. For a day's shooting, I rarely need the spare in the field, in fact I usually get several shooting sessions from one charge (even after 3.5 years). My daughter has Panasonic and if they have one failing (as a brand), it seems to be battery usage - she's often on her second spare, when I'm still using the first battery and we shoot similar amounts throughout a typical day at a wildlife sanctuary.

I treat my cameras like my cars, if I can live with their few shortcomings, I look after them and stick with 'em for years - 'better the devil you know' syndrome. So many times you get caught by some unexpected downside when you change your car - e.g. reliability, or something else that drives you nuts (e.g. like misting up), same with cameras. Back to cameras, I am careful changing lenses and I have never had to clean the D5000 sensor (I really shouldn't have said that!), bet I'll change camera and that, or battery life, will bite me big time. The 'grass is always greener' is not something I let myself be tempted by (often)

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 26th January 2013 at 11:39 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

Dave, I'm pretty much in your camp (and I also am still attached to my D5000). But I've started mentally cataloguing all the things I'd like to improve if I ever upgrade -- I would like better low-light performance, even though the D5000 is no slouch on that score; a higher-definition LCD (which is probably inevitable now anyway); high-speed synch on flash would be nice (but then I'd have to get another flash unit, too); more MP (I think 24 looks very nice with DX -- the grain looks positively film-like when you have to push the ISO, even on any reasonable crop); control of the metering mode from a single button; ability to lock the focus point from the menu; and a nice big and bright penta-prism viewfinder would all be nice to have. None of them are so compelling that I feel the need to switch, and a couple of them only come in cameras that cost more than my cheap heart is willing to spend, so my D5000 may end up outliving me...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I am careful changing lenses and I have never had to clean the D5000 sensor [in 3.5 years and 50,000 shutter releases]
    You should create a tutorial.

Real Name

Found this comparison between D5100 and D5200 on YouTube;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNpLhhPypk

High iso performance, in terms of noise, is really no better at all, but there is a tad more detail there - if you have good glass.

He did seem to think the AF was noticeably better and I wouldn't say 'no' to 5 fps instead of 4.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    You should create a tutorial.
    Fairly easily done for Nikon;
    I always have the sensor cleaning set to run at both switch on and switch off.

Takes a lot longer to describe than do

Prepare both lenses;
    a) The new lens should be front element down, rotated so when you pick it up the white dot will be in correct place to fit quickly for the way you will be holding the camera body
    b) Untwist, but leave rear cap resting on new lens
    c) Reverse lens hood and fit front cap to lens on camera, so it can be put down quickly and safely (in a clear space) after removal
    d) Switch off camera while it is held horizontal
    e) Turn so your back is to any wind
    f) Now hold camera with lens opening down
    g) Press lens release button, remove lens and place on surface, front down
    h) Swap rear cap between lenses, rest it on (for now)
    i) Pick up and fit new lens, ensure locked on
    j) Hold camera horizontal
    k) Switch on camera, wait the one second for sensor shake to function
    l) Properly fit rear lens cap and stow removed lens safely

I usually use left hand for camera body and right hand for everything else.
    Camera hangs around my neck, or on harness, to give both hands free to remove and fit rear lens cap properly, etc.

Nothing special, just common sense and following the guidance in manufacturer's handbook for some bits.

I often see people out, with camera on tripod, take old lens off, leave the camera open (for whatever to blow in), put lens down, then start rooting around in rucksack for the new lens. Their camera is open to the elements for several minutes, mine is only exposed for about 3 seconds and even then the lens opening is using gravity to help stuff not get inside.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 26th January 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Real Name
    Blake

Personally, I'm more concerned with the autofocus. 24 MP is nice to have, but the 39 AF points are just dandy. 9 of them being cross-type, I'd expect to see some good performance focusing in low light or fast action situations (which is really where I was upset with my D90, though I was in some pretty taxing conditions). I'm so pleased to see an AF system like this trickling down to the entry levels.

And yes, I work in the store. I have a D300s currently, so I'm not buying any time soon

Real Name
    Peter

I am not sure about that battery Dave. My D600 uses the...15. There have been a lot of complaints about that battery, mainly because it isn't backward compatible, so if you also have an older body you will be taking two chargers with you on a trip.
    Apart from that it functions just like the battery in the D7000 did. Pretty good usage out of one charge and I would imagine that it is the same for the new D5200 battery.

It might be nice to get some new possibilities to play with. I do agree that you don't need the extra megapixels, but the sensor should perform fine. I think that is one thing that Nikon is taking care off these days.