Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Half Moon

  1. #1
    Jim B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,219
    Real Name
    Jim

    Half Moon

    Half Moon
    5DII Canon 100-400+1.4X TC
    560mm f/11 ISO 100:WB Daylight, manual focus, live view,MLU,cable release.

  2. #2
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,238
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Half Moon

    Very nicely done Jim,

    Looks just like the one I saw leaving work several hours ago!
    Raining now though

  3. #3
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: Half Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    560mm f/11 ISO 100:WB Daylight, manual focus, live view,MLU,cable release.
    Very nice, Jim. May I ask why did you use ISO 100 and not the lowest 50?

  4. #4
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Half Moon

    It doesn't look right too me; the contrast is too high. I'm not saying I can do better because I can't; it just doesn't look right.

  5. #5
    jacsul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hudson Valley, U.S.A.
    Posts
    299
    Real Name
    Jack

    Re: Half Moon

    I always knew there wasn't a man.
    Anyway, nice

  6. #6
    Jim B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,219
    Real Name
    Jim

    Re: Half Moon

    Thanks for the comments.
    Alis,the truth?I forgot that the 5D has ISO 50 Still new to the camera.
    I'll give it a try next time.
    Arith,you are correct.I boosted contrast to bring out the crater details.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Half Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Very nice, Jim. May I ask why did you use ISO 100 and not the lowest 50?
    ISO 50 isn't a true ISO - they just under-expose the shot my 1 stop and up-shift the result to compensate; bottom line is it gives you more noise, and 1 stop less dynamic range. Best to avoid it unless you need the slower shutterspeed for some reason.

  8. #8
    Jim B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,219
    Real Name
    Jim

    Re: Half Moon

    Colin,
    Thanks for the heads up.I never used the 1/3 stop ISO settings on my 50D either.

  9. #9
    Alis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,544
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: Half Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    ISO 50 isn't a true ISO - they just under-expose the shot my 1 stop and up-shift the result to compensate; bottom line is it gives you more noise, and 1 stop less dynamic range. Best to avoid it unless you need the slower shutterspeed for some reason.
    Thanks, Colin! Interesting tip.

    Now I want to know where do you get this information from? I mean this specific piece of knowledge?
    Last edited by Alis; 28th October 2009 at 02:04 AM.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Half Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post

    Now I want to know where do you get this information from? I mean this specific piece of knowlege?
    I'm sorry - I can't reveal my sources

    Nah - seriously - no idea when/where I learned that. It's a technique that's been around for ages though - that's why they mark both ends as "special" on the camera - they're done as a fiddle rather than as a try ISO. Sine with in between ISOs.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •