Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 'shrooms

Real Name
    Will

'shrooms

after 129 shots trying to get used to the new camera, here is a mushroom that has sprouted in the garden.

img_0129_sml.jpg
    500D w. Kit lens at 48mm, f/22, 1/25s, iso100

Lots of C+C please while i try and get used to the leap upto DSLR
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    David

Re: 'shrooms

Hi wjh - If this is a documentary shot of a type of mushroom then it probably works quite well. Sharpness might be an issue in that the big LHS mushroom looks slightly out of focus or not as sharp as it could be (or it's my eyes). That might be a post-processing issue. Is the camera a Canon 500D and was the shot taken as a RAW file. If so, then it is certainly worth sharpening using the DPP software that comes with the camera.

If you were going for a more arty image, I reckon several of the guys here, me included, would suggest local contrast enhancement to make the image "pop". There are several, posts and a tutorial on the matter to look at. At the moment the image is perhaps a bit bland with all that green stuff and not much variation in colour. The mushrooms have very subtle colour changes. A possibility that I would explore is to reduce the saturation of the grass and increase saturation in the mushrooms. Careful selection would be needed but that would again make the fungus stand out.

Anyway, these are just some suggestions. Good luck with the new camera.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Will

Re: 'shrooms

Some good stuff there David, thanks. I did do a local contrast tweak, but maybe i was a bit shy with it. I also did a sharpen at 0.3 radius by 250%, aswell as a bit of highlight recovery from the raw file, and colour correction. Unfortuantely sharpness is an issue however, being so close on a (relatively) large sensor, means im taking a little while to get used to the massively decreased DOF. It was the Left mushroom I was aiming to be the primary subject, but the wide cup made focussing a little tricky.

I've attatched the raw file straight to jpg for comparison.

img_0129_rawsml.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 26th October 2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: add image inline