Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: potted cats

potted cats

potted cats

Re: potted cats

i like this pussy cats pic very lovable indeed! but i really would crop it just below the cats and not show the bottom as its diverting my view away from what i want to see and enjoy.........showing little is sometimes more than we need creating a simple pic is more difficult than we think!

thanks for your comment T.I left it 'as taken' as I wanted to show off my 220 year old pot It's the cat's summer patio when all the plants have gone back.

V

PS It's the pot that's tilted not the camera

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by veloman View Post
    ~I wanted to show off my 220 year old pot
    ~ It's the pot that's tilted not the camera
    I think I'd tilt a bit if I were that old

Hi Arwyn,

On the crop topic, I initially thought as 'taken', but decided that if you had cropped tighter we wouldn't have known/appreciated the "potted" bit.

However, I did wonder whether a re-shoot with you a few paces to the right, to avoid the distraction of the incongruous car in the background would make a better picture though.

Just an idea, but maybe there's something even worse on the left

Cheers,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

thanks for your comment T.I left it 'as taken' as I wanted to show off my 220 year old pot It's the cat's summer patio when all the plants have gone back.

V

Looks "Purrrfect" to me

Gotta love pussy cats! Lovely pic, made me smile

well what i found a little distracting in here was the 220yrs old pot, that was sort of creating a 3d effect in the frame its bouncing out,from inside the frame,right on to my face had u caught the two cats napping like, one of the cats you would have had a smooth flow of viewers eyes all over ur pic,and also on to the 22oyrs old pot! that open eye cat is fighting for attention,with all its might

Sorry T,the pot is part of their lives so it stays where it is,or they'll never forgive me .To be pedantic,I think that photographs have two functions,to record memories and to record the unusual.Cats in an unusual pot was the memory I wanted to capture,I was'nt too concerned about aesthetics.But thanks for your observations.

PS. Photographing cats is harder than herding them,you have to follow Cartier-Bressons dictum and apply the 'decisive moment' principle.(and it may contain a pot.)

Real Name
    Ali

V

Nice picture.

About leveling, I think it does not matter what is tilted in outside world. If it makes your eyes crossed to look at the picture, it becomes a distration like any other distraction that needs to be fix.

So, unless it is crime scene picture, I would level the picture for the most prominent element in the picture, so that the picture looks leveled and it does not need any additional information to make it right.