Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pentax MX-1

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Pentax MX-1

I really like the looks of the new Pentax MX-1 but for the life of me can't understand why it dose not have a hot shoe. I do think this will affect the sell of it.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentax-mx-1/

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Pentax MX-1

Perhaps you could use the stereo microphones to mount your flash As everyone knows, in the minds of today's consumer (and therefore in the feeble mind of the manufacturer) having video capability far outweighs any thoughts of having a fully equipped still camera

Of course, I am being facetious regarding mounting the flash on the stereo microphones but not really facetious about manufacturers caring more about video than still capability.

We are also experiencing a reversal of color scheme. Originally, most 35mm cameras were silver colored trimmed with leather or faux-leather. Sometime during the Vietnam conflict, combat photojournalists began literally painting their cameras black because having a silver aimimg point hanging around one's neck was not consider the best of ideas

Black cameras began to be considered "the in thing" and you were considered a "professional" if you had a black canera. The camera companies (I thing Nikon was the first or it could have been Leica) began to sell "professional" black cameras. They didn't improve anyone's imagery but may have prevented a few punctures by AK-47 rounds...

Pentax has always been in the forefront of camera development such as the Pentax 35mm ME film camera which had only automatic capability. Nice camera but, not one which many pros or advanced amatuers wanted...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 8th January 2013 at 01:40 AM.

Real Name
    John

Paul,
    as they say in the UK (I don't know about elseware) "it's horses for courses" which means it is what it is. As you have already said there is no external flash, so if you can live without one great if not then this camera is certainly is not for you.

I agree it looks OK and the spec. is not bad, what do you want it for; as a main camera or as a smaller 2nd camera for use on informal shoots?
    It does have that 'retro' look that I must admit I like too.
    Let us know if you decide to buy one.
    Cheers
    John

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post

Pentax has always been in the forefront of camera development such as the Pentax 35mm ME film camera which had only automatic capability. Nice camera but, not one which many pros or advanced amatuers wanted...

They used the original MX. Which was realeased at the same time.

I'm not positive but I believe that he ME Super, which was released a few years later, had a manual override

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Paul,
    as they say in the UK (I don't know about elseware) "it's horses for courses" which means it is what it is. As you have already said there is no external flash, so if you can live without one great if not then this camera is certainly is not for you.

I agree it looks OK and the spec. is not bad, what do you want it for; as a main camera or as a smaller 2nd camera for use on informal shoots?
    It does have that 'retro' look that I must admit I like too.
    Let us know if you decide to buy one.
    Cheers
    John
    Yea I like the 'retro' look very cute. As for not having a hot shoe I don't use a flash much at all so not a big deal for me. But for many other out there that might be a deal breaker deal.

Real Name
    Richard

I bought a Pentax ME because I wanted a relatively small 35mm camera that had auto exposure capability yet, produced decent imagery. The reason I wanted a camera like this was that when shooting motion pictures with 16mm professional equipment, I often had a need for stills. I didn't want to "fool" with the exposure and often shot it one handed whle carrying my tripod and mopix camera over my shoulder. The Pentax ME worked fine for this use but, being fully automatic, had limited versatility.

Actually, the new little Pentax would have been great for my uses as an adjunct to my mopix gear except that I could never get used to shooting without an eye level viewfinder of some type...

I replaced the ME with a Canon A-1 which. although heavier, was far more capable and versatile. The A-1 was, I believe, the first camera to incorporate Programmed exposure control. I later backed up the A-1 with a Canon AE-1P and I shot with that pair of cameras for years. The Canon FD and Pentax K-Mount lenses were of excellent to superb quality.

I skipped the entire Canon EOS film camera line because I thought (incorrectly) that I could do a better and faster job focusing the camera.

Real Name
    Dave

I'm not positive but I believe that he ME Super, which was released a few years later, had a manual override
    It certainly did. I remember it fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by jimd View Post
    ...I believe that the ME Super, which was released a few years later, had a manual override
    It did, I had an ME Super, loved it.

Ken

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Melkus View Post
    I really like the looks of the new Pentax MX-1 but for the life of me can't understand why it dose not have a hot shoe. I do think this will affect the sell of it. ...
    Frankly, I think most folks who want a retro-styled compact for $500+ are likely to gravitate towards Fuji's X20 instead. Only $100 more for a flash hotshoe, bigger sensor, and phase-detection AF? Makes sense to me.

Real Name
    Robin

Too little too late.

The X20 will walk away with the sales.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

I could live without the hotshoe since I hardly ever use a flash but not having a OV is a big turn off. Going keep my eye on the Fuji and one other and see how they do.