Thread: Farm and wind turbines C&C

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Farm and wind turbines C&C

I have posted these for your viewing pleasure (or discomfort). I gave up trying to get rid of the blue cast; everything I did just made the image grotesque. I finally elected to go back and white. I wonder if there is any better way of doing the monochrome?

Any input is more than welcome. I get great feedback and it really helps me to improve

As shot. For reference and to play with. The hazy air is thin ice fog (for those of you who live in more clement climes; ice fog is frozen water vapour, sometimes called habitation fog, and is from car exhaust, chimneys and sublimation of snow that freezes in the cold air. Usually the air has to be minus 20C or colder for it to stay around and not evaporate.) Purposely underexposed to avoid blowing out the highlights on the snow

colour version.

The monochrome

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Re: Farm and wind turbines C&C

Have you tried a quick fix by adjusting the white balance?

I've just tried it by using a 'warmer' setting. Works a treat.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    Have you tried a quick fix by adjusting the white balance?

I've just tried it by using a 'warmer' setting. Works a treat.
    Thanks Mike This is one of those instances (of many) where I was having a mental block. I have been so prone to overdoing the warmth adjustment that I have been purposely avoiding it for the last several weeks. And of course it was the right thing to do.

Better? This is reprocessed so it isn't just the white balance slider, but the warmth is the main adjustment.

Thanks again

For me, Trevor, that is too far now and the snow is going yellow.

The blue cast is very slight.

I've had a quick edit.

Slightly brightened with Curves, then a Soft Light Layer at 50%.

Very slight reduction in the Blue Channel highlights.

A little bit of selective adjustment with those variations to retain a bit of texture with the foreground.

Tried to lighten the shadows but eventually thought they look better as they were.

I could reduce the blue in the foliage a little more but I tend to prefer this a little on the cooler blue side.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Hi Trevor,

It's a nice photo with a well balanced composition. For me, it's hard to attribute the low saturation of the trees in the background to the hazy air without being told beforehand, but that's just because I'm not used to such a sight. Mike's suggestion to increase the WB was the obvious solution to your problem; the rest is just adjusting the brightness and contrast to match your recollection of the actual scene. I tried playing around with it in Lightroom but any further adjustments were just reflecting my imagining what the scene looked like to the eye.

One question though - do you think that the snow could have been a bit brighter - maybe half a stop?

Tony
    Last edited by Tony M; 3rd January 2013 at 06:50 AM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Thanks Mike This is one of those instances (of many) where I was having a mental block. I have been so prone to overdoing the warmth adjustment that I have been purposely avoiding it for the last several weeks. And of course it was the right thing to do.

Better? This is reprocessed so it isn't just the white balance slider, but the warmth is the main adjustment.

Thanks again
    Trevor,
    I like your edit better than the others, love this photo!! Makes me wish I were there!!

Kathy

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    For me, Trevor, that is too far now and the snow is going yellow.
    The blue cast is very slight.I've had a quick edit.I could reduce the blue in the foliage a little more but I tend to prefer this a little on the cooler blue side.
    Thanks Geoff; The white balance slider is a bit of a nemesis to me. I find myself consistently getting the image too warm. It may be a matter of personal taste in the end analysis, but sometimes I go back and the end result is garish because i went too far. I have to be really cautious initially.

Real Name
    Paul

Nice image, reminds me of the Eastern side of my state. I am one that tends to like the warmer side of things as well, although snow I think shoud be white and a slight blue cast {very slight} does not bother me as there are times that you see that blue tint while standing in the stuff.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    Hi Trevor,

It's a nice photo with a well balanced composition. For me, it's hard to attribute the low saturation of the trees in the background to the hazy air without being told beforehand, but that's just because I'm not used to such a sight.

One question though - do you think that the snow could have been a bit brighter - maybe half a stop?Tony
    If I went with any more exposure I found that the snow in the foreground completely blew out and I lost all the texture. Perhaps a half stop would have worked. I find it is better to underexpose slightly. I am still playing with the exposure, these low angle light mid days are hard because the overall light is low but there is enough light still to get snow to reflect brightly. Especially if the angles of some snow is 90 degrees to the sun and the rest almost 180.

The trees on the hill are frost and snow covered so they are slightly "fuzzy" due to the hoarfrost. They are also reflecting the sky so they really don't have much colour beyond snow white and sky blue

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
    Trevor,
    I like your edit better than the others, love this photo!! Makes me wish I were there!!Kathy
    This is when I am glad I am here. Although I am starting to force myself to re-embrace winter as a season of things to do rather than hibernate and grumble.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Nice image, reminds me of the Eastern side of my state. I am one that tends to like the warmer side of things )
    Thanks Paul. Is preferring the warmer side why you are on the west side of the Cascades?