Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Capture sharpening still needed with Leica M Monochrom?

Real Name
    Lawrence

Capture sharpening still needed with Leica M Monochrom?

I'm reading the basic tutorials on sharpening and see that capture sharpening is mostly to correct for the AA and Bayer filter that this camera doesn't have.

If I shoot landscapes on a tripod, will capture sharpening add much? I still would agree that creative and output sharpening would be useful.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Capture sharpening still needed with Leica M Monochrom?

Quote Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
    I'm reading the basic tutorials on sharpening and see that capture sharpening is mostly to correct for the AA and Bayer filter that this camera doesn't have.

If I shoot landscapes on a tripod, will capture sharpening add much? I still would agree that creative and output sharpening would be useful.
    Hi "ymc",

I would think not, for the reasons you state.

To be honest, personally I rarely bother (and I do have an AA filter), since by the time you have reduced an image's dimensions so it can be viewed online, the capture sharpening will have disappeared (being such a small radius) anyway.

I only do the creative and output sharpening and often only the latter and I don't get complaints my pics are soft.
    My only method of output is usually here and my PBase site. I rarely print, but again, output sharpening for print is going to overwhelm any capture sharpening.

We are a forum where most use first names - could you do us a favour and Edit your Profile and add that in the Real Name field and where you are (roughly) in the Location field, the latter allows us to offer advice relevant to your locale.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...

Real Name
    Scott

Re: Capture sharpening still needed with Leica M Monochrom?

I had one of those but it was defective, so I immediately returned it. For the kind of mmoney they charge for that thing, you'd think they'd have checked it for 2 seconds before it went out the door, and noticed it was only shooting black & white!!!