Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: From my window!

Real Name
    Robin

From my window!

From my window!

This photo got a few ticks in a mini competition.
    I know it has faults, like the right lower corner, too much of the corner of the room in it.
    However as I played with curves I could not get it "pop" for me.

I have done very little PP to it, didn't really want to crop it, was taken on 2 seconds on my little Ricoh P&S.

Still I did want it to "pop" and grab viewers attention.

Real Name
    John

Re: From my window!

Hi Robin,
    I can see where your coming from with this picture, you like it, as do I; but feel it needs 'something' more.

Hope you don't mind, I have had a little play with it in PP and this was my humble effort. I'm still learning when it comes to PP, so please it's not great just the best I could do with limited skills. If you would rather I had not posted this just let me know and I will remove it.
    Thanks for sharing, it's been an interesting learning curve for me.

From my window!

Real Name
    James

Here is another attempt to achieve what you are after. First I opened your JPEG in Adobe Camera RAW (am working with CS6) where I corrected the lens distortion and some perspective issues. Also took out a lot of the chromatic aberration and fringing in the sky. Then I made some general exposure adjustments, also in ACR - added contrast, dropped exposure a bit added clarity, a tad of vibrance. Then I opened in Photoshop. Here I made two general adjustments. I copied the layer (Ctrl/J on a PC) and changed the blend mode to soft light -
    (you can play with opacity to get the look you want). Then I flattened the image and once again copied the layer. Then I went to filter - other - high pass - 1.8% - and hit OK (the 1.8 is not a magical number - you can play around with it if you want - it is a sharpening filter) Then this layer has to be changed to overlay blend mode. I also took this image into NIK (a plug in) where I made a few minor tweaks but the majority of the effect was accomplished with just Photoshop. Had this been a full res RAW file you would have been able to do a bunch more with it - such as correcting the blown highlights in certain areas, etc. However, even if you don't shoot in RAW, you can still open a JPEG in ACR and use the tools there to improve your image. This was a fairly quick take on correction, so there are some issues which I am sure some will pick up on, but I think it comes closer to what you were asking for. Let me know what you think
    From my window!

Real Name
    Robin

Thank you for your work.

If I put a photo on here and ask for C&C that means (in my mind) I am giving you permission to comment or do what you want with the photo. So many thanks.

John, I like that your got rid of the corner of the room, I never tried cloning that out as I thought I would be quite difficult to get the pattern right, maybe I should have tried with Faststone. It has a good cloning tool.

The more I have looked at the original I think the look I want is impossible, there is too much "grainyness/haziness" in it. Is that what they call "noise".
    The atmosphere was very smoggy when this photo was taken.

James, great work. It shows what can be done.
    And I thank you for you the detail in showing how you achieved your result.
    I never thought of changing the blue, and mostly all I do is play with curves, clone, sharpen, and some cropping.
    I reckon I need to go to a few workshops on PP to up my skills in GIMP.

We seem to have lost some of the road at the bottom of the photo.
    I liked that bit, as one of the things I was trying to get with the photo was the car lights in a long "streamers".

However, in taking it for 2 seconds I have some "blown" bits that kind of wreck the photo.
    Maybe I needed to take EC down, but I did not know about that setting (and many other things) at the time.

Real Name
    James

That is a masterful job of cloning - I would not have attempted it either. Have never been very good with that tool The loss of the road at the bottom was the result of my lens corrections - To avoid that one could have pulled Mr. Clone out of the bag, but he and I have never developed a great relationship, so I lost the road! Was fun to play with and see what could be done - thanks.

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

It is really interesting to see what can be done with a little bit of skill in PP. I have none so it is helpful to read the details. I am more partial to blue so I like the bluer version. I think I can see where you are coming from re: the road at the bottom however. If I were playing with it I would take that corner on the right bottom and if I couldn't clone it out, which I probably couldn't then would soften it use the space to put in a title and your name in a soft elegant script, something like "A Room with a View" Robin dropping the opacity so it is more like a water mark than a neon sign. However, just having that kind of view on a regular basis I would probably also have several hundred pictures of it and enjoy every one.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by DeepWater View Post
    That is a masterful job of cloning - I would not have attempted it either.

To avoid that one could have pulled Mr. Clone out of the bag, but he and I have never developed a great relationship, so I lost the road! Was fun to play with and see what could be done - thanks.
    Good on you for giving it a try, always helpful to see what others can "see" like and create.
    It took me a while to "see" what had been cloned in, initially I was confused by 2 roads that go nowhere.

But good cloning job, a little "bluring" and it would be hard to figure it out.

And yes cloning is painstaking.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by CLK View Post
    If I were playing with it I would take that corner on the right bottom and if I couldn't clone it out, which I probably couldn't then would soften it use the space to put in a title and your name in a soft elegant script, something like "A Room with a View" Robin dropping the opacity so it is more like a water mark than a neon sign. However, just having that kind of view on a regular basis I would probably also have several hundred pictures of it and enjoy every one.
    I like the idea of softening it and putting in a title.
    I might give that a go. And the title is right even if not original.
    It was a spectacular view, which of course is why I had a go at getting it with my little P/S.

I might have to get a better one for my next travels.
    The photography virus/addiction is expensive to treat.