Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Cross and the Truck

Real Name
    Sergio

The Cross and the Truck

I came upon this scene on highway 90 during a trip out of town this past weekend. Your thoughts and comments welcome.

The Cross and the Truck

ISO 400, 28mm, f/8.0 1/400

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The Cross and the Truck

Weird. I wonder if it has some deep symbolism ... or if it's just an old truck dumped beside a cross?

I wondered if it needs all that foreground, or whether a bit of a crop at the bottom (to maybe just below that larger clump of grass towards the far side of the track) would put more emphasis onto the truck and the cross? But perfect subject material for the B & W treatment. Well seen.

Real Name
    Sergio

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Weird. I wonder if it has some deep symbolism ... or if it's just an old truck dumped beside a cross?
    My wife and I thought the same thing and discussed several possible interpretations. It does seem to have been put there deliberately, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I wondered if it needs all that foreground, or whether a bit of a crop at the bottom (to maybe just below that larger clump of grass towards the far side of the track) would put more emphasis onto the truck and the cross? But perfect subject material for the B & W treatment. Well seen.
    I had actually considered the crop you suggested. I even tried several other crops (including a landscape version), but ended up deciding on the original one posted. There is something about the space at the bottom that I like. What exactly it is I'm not sure and I don't know that I can explain it, but it seems to give the image balance. Whether that is correct is definitely open for debate. I certainly appreciate your suggestion and will be looking at it and others side by side.

Thanks for viewing and your comments and encouragement, it's greatly appreciated.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Nice capture! Considering that there is so little space on the sides, I think the foreground space is needed to convey the isolation of the cross and truck. If it were my photo, I would crop some off the top and or allow more space on the sides.

Real Name
    Sergio

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Nice capture! Considering that there is so little space on the sides, I think the foreground space is needed to convey the isolation of the cross and truck. If it were my photo, I would crop some off the top and or allow more space on the sides.
    Thanks, Mike. Yes, the balance I was talking about is the isolation of the cross and the truck. They are in the middle of nowhere and the combination makes quite a sight. I do have a crop with less sky and more on the sides (landscape version) which I also like. I will continue to play around with the image to try and squeeze more out of it.

Thanks for taking the time to view and comment.