Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lone waterlilly

Real Name
    Keith

Lone waterlilly

Hunting through a temporary store I came across this shot from a walk around a local lake in early in September. I had forgotten about it. There is no PP, it is straight out of the camera. Suggestions, as always, welcomed.

Lone waterlilly

f11, 1/800, EOS 1000D, EF-S 18-55mm II, 4pm on 4th September.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Lone waterlilly

I think the image of the flower is lovely. However, I wonder if there is too much of the very bright leaves around about it and that if it was cropped more tightly in on the flower, that might make for a stronger image?

Real Name
    steve

Hi,
    For what my opinion is worth, i agree with Donald. I like the flower but the light on the leaves distract me.

Real Name
    Keith

I agree with you Donald and Steve. I printed this out first and it looks so much better on A4 photopaper than it does on the screen. Perhaps this is one for desaturating the background so that the flower stands out. I will have a play with it. I also have one from the same trip where there are 3 flowers about a foot apart but that doesn't work at all.

Real Name
    Keith

I have cropped it tighter after increasing the saturation of the yellows and then copying the whole image to a second layer, desaturating the upper layer then adding a reveal mask over the flower and it's immediate foliage. It certainly has more contrast. I am still not sure about it though.

Lone waterlilly

Perhaps I will have to go back next year, hope that this flower pops up again, then use a longer lens and zoom in closer. (Assuming the same combination of flower and sun of course).