Thread: Question on Adobe Student Edition

Real Name
    Pat

Question on Adobe Student Edition

Hi Folks,
    A friend of mine has enroled as a mature student and asked me some question's about the Adobe Student Edition's which I could not answer, I would be most grateful if you could answer them for her so she can be forarmed before she contacts Adobe, the question's are ........

1. Do they have the full features,
    2. Can you update from a student edition if a new version comes out at the reduced price,
    3. Can you enstall them on a pc and also enstall the same program from the disc onto a laptop,

She told me to send you all a big thank you in advance and to send seasons greetings to you all,
    Best Wishes,
    Pat

Real Name
    Russell

Re: Question on Adobe Student Edition

Real Name
    Dan

1. yes. It's the same software, just a different license.
    2. yes. the update from the educational version is the same as any other upgrade. In my experience, the upgrade is usually the same price as a new educational version.
    3. For photoshop, I believe you are limited to two computers. You have to authorize each installation, and Adobe keeps track, so when you replace a computer, you de-authorize it. AFAIK, in the case of Lightroom, this process is not used, and it should be simple to install on a second computer.

However, having Lightroom keep track of photos on different computers is not straightforward.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    1. yes. It's the same software, just a different license.
    2. yes. the update from the educational version is the same as any other upgrade. In my experience, the upgrade is usually the same price as a new educational version.
    3. For photoshop, I believe you are limited to two computers. You have to authorize each installation, and Adobe keeps track, so when you replace a computer, you de-authorize it. AFAIK, in the case of Lightroom, this process is not used, and it should be simple to install on a second computer.

However, having Lightroom keep track of photos on different computers is not straightforward.

My experience with the student edition(s) as it applies to the various Creative Suites, not just Photoshop is the same as what Dan has written.

3. Confirmed that you are limited to 2 computers RUNNING Photoshop (or Creative Suite) versions. You can install the software on multiple machines and can authorize / de-authorise as required. This is done in seconds using an internet connection. I normally run CS6 on two desktops. I also have it installed on a laptop that I use when traveling, but don't like using the laptop because of the slow processor and small machine. If I need to use it on the laptop, I will de-authorise one of the desktops and authorize the laptop, and will return to my usual working configuration when I get home. This wastes a bit of hard disk space, but saves having to install / uninstall the package.

Real Name
    Allan Short

I purchased CS5 Extended Student Edition through the College from where I took the Photoshop course. When CS6 came out I could up grade it to CS6 (standard) but not the CS6 Extended. As there were items in extended I did not need or ever use, I up graded to CS6 Standard Edition.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Pat

Thank you very, very much Folks, all questions answered,
    Best Wishes, Take Care,
    Pat

Real Name
    Orlando

interesting. I didn't know you needed to de-authorize. I just built a new computer and installed the software. So I guess I need to de-authorize my old machine. How does one do this? Sorry for hijacking this thread with a different question, but I think it could provide additional information.

Do you know that Google still works?
    Here's that info in case anyone else needed to know: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/p...-products.html
    Last edited by orlcam88; 14th December 2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: self-answered question

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by orlcam88 View Post
    interesting. I didn't know you needed to de-authorize. I just built a new computer and installed the software. So I guess I need to de-authorize my old machine. How does one do this? Sorry for hijacking this thread with a different question, but I think it could provide additional information.

Do you know that Google still works?
    Here's that info in case anyone else needed to know: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/p...-products.html
    Get into the Help Menu and select "Deactivate". Just follow the instructions; there is one route where reactivation is easy and another that requires you to re-enter your serial number. Deactivation does not unistall the software.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Get into the Help Menu and select "Deactivate". Just follow the instructions; there is one route where reactivation is easy and another that requires you to re-enter your serial number. Deactivation does not unistall the software.
    On a side note ... if the old PC were no longer available for some reason then one can just contact Adobe and they'll sort it out. Happened to me when I had a motherboard taken out by a lightning strike - I just contacted them via chat and they sorted it in about 5 minutes.