Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JanuWednesFest-Plumcrak

Real Name
    Jon

JanuWednesFest-Plumcrak

One post every Wednesday in January - One camera - One lens...welcome to the journey!

My one (and only) camera is a Canon powershot sx30is.

This will be me stepping out of my comfort zone and into something I really don't like to do.
    I plan on these five posts to be people oriented...Get ready.

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Re: JanuWednesFest-Plumcrak

I have a similer goal, but self portraits.

Real Name
    Jon

Well...today is Wednesday and that means I get to post the picture for the week for y'all to dissect and let me know what all I can do to improve.

Lets have it...

JanuWednesFest-Plumcrak

I know technically this was not shot in January, but after the festivities New Years Eve I did absolutely nothing yesterday but watch football and play on the computer...and that was too much!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You did a great job of capturing the party atmosphere, the energy and the facial expressions. I'd like to see the foreground woman toned down a bit and the others lifted a bit. But first, please pass the popcorn.

Real Name
    Bobo

Good job on the first people oriented shot.

I agree with Mike, bit tone down the front lady. Not particular about the ones further away, as the toning down of the front will probably "equalise".

Real Name
    Jon

A slight adjustment on my earlier posted photo...

JanuWednesFest-Plumcrak

plus a couple more from the same evening...

JanuWednesFest-Plumcrak

JanuWednesFest-Plumcrak

Real Name
    Bobo

The cheek highlights are now competing for attention in the new set.

The 2 new ones - the highlight on the top of the cheek may need a bit of a tone down. The bright bit on the side of the nose can to cloned out.

The last one is good in all respects but the eyeball is missing Nothing you can do when someones uses long bushy fur for eyelashes....

But I am sure they will like these shots as is. I do too but we are obliged to make nit-picking comment.

Real Name
    Jon

Bobo & Mike, thanks for your comments. I really DO NOT like shooting people...I never seem to get them close to what I see. I really need to get some kind of PP software that will allow me to do selective adjustments and cloning.

The girl in the last shot avoided me like the plague most of the night...but I eventually got one shot of her!

Real Name
    Bobo

Yes people are a pain the the you know what. Generally not because they detest their pic being taken but more fearful that unposed will make them look bad. But then all such have not idea how to pose so end up with just as bad as they imagined. The best pics imo are the natural unposed shots but that is just me.

My camera buddies use me all the time. If I notice it I just hold whatever position I am in. People just need to be reminded that the Indians got it wrong when they believed that a photograph grabbed their soul. Or maybe they were right in some respect...

Editing software - the one that comes with your camera will do a pretty decent job. Or you can get the free GIMP which is almost Photoshop like. I think there might be some free Lightroom like editors as well.

I'm not an expert at using flash, but I notice that your shutter speed in the second and third one are only 1/15 and 1/20. I wonder if that explains why the second one is quite blurred. You got lucky in the third one, but consider getting rid of the background lights on the left side of the frame.

Real Name
    Andrew

Looks like you had a good time the other night! Nice shots Jon! I really like the third one in your second post. Especially with the hint of the Christmas tree in the background - That subtlety in backgrounds reminds me of your shot of the hibiscus (or orchid - I can't remember), that I liked so much where you had the light fixture in the background, but it was also very subtle, and sort of 'abstracted'.

Real Name
    Jon

Andrew, yes a good time was had by all, I think! Thanks for the comments. I tried Mikes suggestion of removing the lights but it just lost something when I did, so the lights stay. I have never been fond of my shots of people, and then add a flash to the mix and I am totally out of my element. At least these were candid shots so I wasn't worried about "is my hair just right", "my right side is my good side" or the deer in the headlights look.

Well, time to start for next weeks torture.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by plumcrak View Post
    Well, time to start for next weeks torture.
    Cheers
    Torture for you, maybe, but not for us being able to discuss and enjoy your results.

Real Name
    Greg

I think the 3rd image for me Jon.
    It captures all the spirit of the evening but you have eye contact with this one.
    Well done

Real Name
    Jon

DECISIONS, DECISIONS...

Well, here we are again...Wednesday night. Life got really busy this past week and I never even got the camera out of the bag. (this is me making excuses already) Nobody is around...the wife is out with the girls and my son is at work...so what to do?? I don't get left alone very much...my wife says it's because I always get into trouble when left alone. I have stated before that people are my least favorite thing to shoot, well that is not exactly true. I AM MY LEAST FAVORITE THING TO SHOOT. Looks as if I don't have any other choice but to do a "self" for tonights post.

Be gentle with me please, you don't want to hurt that one feeling I have.

JanuWednesFest-Plumcrak

I went a little dark on this one I think...
    JanuWednesFest-Plumcrak

One of these days I might make me a small studio like you guys have, but until then I will continue to just shoot around the house and such.

Despite your jokes, I really like the first one. You have told your story very well.

However, I would crop the bottom exactly at the point that it would eliminate the reflection of your neck and face and nothing more. I would also eliminate the wall hanging that is just barely peeking through the left side of the frame. You could experiment with burning and dodging the background and the bottles, but I like the edgy look exactly as is.

Real Name
    Jon

Thanks Mike, I missed the frame on the left (actually I think it is a shadow from a frame). I cropped a little on both sides and a little bit off the bottom. If I crop to eliminate face and neck (what little neck I have) out of the picture then I cut about half of the reflection of my hands, and that looked janky to me.

Is this better? I think so.

JanuWednesFest-Plumcrak
    Last edited by Plumcrak; 10th January 2013 at 01:44 AM.

Real Name
    Greg

The first one is my pick as well Jon.
    I agree with Mikes cropping suggestions and I love the grungy lighting effect you have achieved.
    If it helps with your decision, I would go for a glass of the Pinot but I'm at work at he moment so it would have to be a small one for me.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Jon

Here it is with no head/neck reflection?????

I am undecided...in many ways

JanuWednesFest-Plumcrak

Real Name
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by gregj1763 View Post
    The first one is my pick as well Jon.
    I agree with Mikes cropping suggestions and I love the grungy lighting effect you have achieved.
    If it helps with your decision, I would go for a glass of the Pinot but I'm at work at he moment so it would have to be a small one for me.
    Cheers, Greg
    Greg, thanks for the comments. I went for the Devil tonight. If I was to open the Pinot I would have to finish it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast