Thread: Eye-fi cards

Real Name
    James

Eye-fi cards

Hope I am in the right place to post, new here, has anyone had experience of using an eye- fi card in their camera. I would like to be able transfer directly to the computer and these seem ideal. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Real Name
    Eugen

Re: Eye-fi cards

They work very well. Been using one for a while and never had any problem.
    Quite low transfer speed and very short range (couple meters or less) are the only disadvantages but if you transfer only the jpg's and stick close it will be fine.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I have one and (Eye-Fi 8GB Pro) am not impressed by the performance. Unless I shoot small jpegs, the transfer speed it very, very slow. If I shoot jpg + RAW (my preferred shooting style), each image is getting to be around 50MB, and it takes a very, very long time to transfer. The card puts an additional demand on the camera's battery (powering theWiFi) that continues even if the camera is turned off.

This is not a substitued for tethered shooting or dedicated wireless shooting. I would not recommend this technology for the serious shooter.

Real Name
    James

Thanks for replies. I only use small jpeg images around 2mb but want to be able to view on laptop as camera screen is difficult to judge sufficiently well. It would enable me to reshoot quickly if needed. Worth a try I think.

.. Quite low transfer speed and very short range (couple meters or less) ..
    if that's the case isn't it easier just to plug in a USB cable ?!
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 11th December 2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: quote tag added

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Onboardmapadi View Post
    Thanks for replies. I only use small jpeg images around 2mb but want to be able to view on laptop as camera screen is difficult to judge sufficiently well. It would enable me to reshoot quickly if needed. Worth a try I think.
    I this is what you are hoping to do with the card, I think you will be disappointed. This is why people shoot tethered.