Thread: A Collection of Recent Images

A Collection of Recent Images

Hi,

I thought that I would share this collection of images that I shot over the last couple of weeks. All images were converted from the RAW format in Photoshop Elements 11. Since I do not have a macro lens, the close-up shots were heavily cropped to show detail. Please click the images to view the larger size. Any feedback/criticism is very much appreciated.

1/100 sec f/6.3 ISO 1600 55.0 mm

I drive by this field just about every day and have wanted to photograph it for a while now. My main attraction to it was the mountains along the horizon. After a while of searching, I finally found a place to shoot from in which I wouldn't have been intruding in someone else’s backyard . This was my first attempt at seriously trying to photograph a landscape. I didn't have a tripod so that is why I used such a high ISO. Watching the light change was definitely a cool experience. I lightened the foreground in Photoshop Elements after using ACR. I also slightly cropped it to remove some distracting information along the edges.

1/160 sec f/6.3 ISO 1600 18.0 mm

This is the same field as above, taken before the above image.

1/60 sec f/8 ISO 100 55.0 mm Flash used

My main attractions to this subject were the thorns and the colors. I used the onboard flash of my D3100 to separate the subject from the background. I then darkened the shadows to virtually black in Photoshop Elements. I also cropped the image.

1/60 sec f/8 ISO 100 55.0 mm Flash used

This harvestman was outside on my back porch so I thought I would try to photograph it. It was dark outside and my porch light was on. I used that as my main light source and then used the onboard flash to emphasize the spider. I cropped the image heavily to show detail.

1/100 f/5.6 ISO 800 55.0 mm Flash used

1/200 f/5.6 ISO 1600 55.0 mm

Thanks for viewing!

- Jacob

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Re: A Collection of Recent Images

Hi Jacob,

I like #5 a lot, and #6 is very nice too, though a tad soft at the bottom left; perfect focus can be very tricky on macro so not really that bad. Most of the sky in #1 is rather dull, my first instinct is to crop out most of the top of it and make it a pano, while cranking up the exposure in the part that remains. The hot orangey sliver in the upper left of #2 gets way too much attention, but cropping only that portion puts the horizon at mid point so I might crop waay on down and leave not a lot of sky, leaving most of the attention on the well lighted and pleasing meadow. Most of the right hand portion of #3 doesn't add a lot so I would lose the leaf on the right, putting the well focused and lit leaf cluster portion near one of the 'power points' (rule of thirds). For #4, the bright sliver at the lower left robs the harvestman of too much attention, and while my machete is still in my hand I would slice off the horizontal white stripe at the top as well.

Hmm, this sounds a lot more heavy-handed than I intended. I hope someone else can offer a bit more nuance.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Jacob

I'm not really into macro stuff much so I'll confine my comments to the first two (landscape) images. Of these, I prefer the second. It has lovely colours and is an interesting vista. However I think a tighter shot would have worked better - this shot is so wide you have to look closely to see the details. With that in mind, you could try cropping some of the top, bottom and left hand side. This will remove that bright pink cloud which I also find a bit too distracting.

The first one is quite nice but lacks impact for me. The colour is a bit too subtle I think. But that's just my opinion, others may differ.

Look forward to some more posts.

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 8th December 2012 at 07:11 AM.

Real Name
    Gretchen

All interesting. My fav is the last one. It is just lovely --soft pastel natural background and well cropped for balance. Clear subject.

thanks for posting.

Hi Lon,

Thank you for all of your feedback. Technically, I wasn't shooting macro, because I was using a normal lens, but I did crop the close-up shots to make them appear more "macro." The soft focus on the bottom left probably isn't as significant in the uncropped version. I will try sharpening the soft spots up a bit with the sharpening tool in Elements.

Good idea on cropping out the sky on #1. I will try that. I will also do something about the bright orange spot on #2.

You are right, I think #3 could do without the right hand portion. I will crop it, placing the leaves near a 'power point'.

I agree with you on the bright spot in the picture of the harvestman. I will do something about that.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I will re-post the images for your approval as soon as I get the time to work on them.

- Jacob

Dave,

Thank's for sharing your feedback. I will try your cropping idea and post it so you can see it. I know what you mean about the first one rather subtle. Maybe it needs more contrast?

- Jacob

Gretchen,

Thank you for your kind words . I have been working on simplifying my compositions to add clarity. That is why I shot that one.

Thank you,

- Jacob