Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Peeking At You...

  1. #1
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Peeking At You...

    Another image from the Great Blue Heron series. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

    Peeking At You...
    Last edited by jprzybyla; 8th December 2012 at 09:57 AM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,616
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Wow! COOL.
    Great catch Joe and well shot too. Well done.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,732
    Real Name
    james

    Re: Peeking At You...

    man Joe howd you get so close! I love that image.

  4. #4
    jeeperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    3,550
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Good work, Joe. It can be difficult to get an interesting image when they are preening. You have succeeded.

  5. #5
    Lon Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silverdale, WA; USA
    Posts
    358
    Real Name
    Lon Howard

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Hi Joe,

    Really an amazing look. The body looks like a pony's back and with the crisp rounded lines around the head area, it resembles a creature developed for a movie, and then there's that one eyeball to finish it off, and a feather in the cap to boot! Try a silhouette and see what happens.

  6. #6
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,701
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Nothing to add by way of constructive comment.

    So why am I posting? Just to add my compliments to those above, on an excellent piece of photography.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Hi Joe,

    Nice image, but I am seeing quite significant banding in all 4 corners.

    Edit: Doh - cancel that. Though shalt not make accusations of banding when (accidentally) working on a terminal services PC session with castrated colour depth!

    My apologies!
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 8th December 2012 at 08:41 AM.

  8. #8
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Wow! COOL.
    Great catch Joe and well shot too. Well done.
    Hi Bobo, thank you for your comment.

  9. #9
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    man Joe howd you get so close! I love that image.
    Hello James, thank you for taking time to view and comment. The heron was perched at the top of a bush, without making eye contact I was able to approach to about 15 feet. Then quickly raised the camera, focused and shot a high speed burst. I find that wildlife flees upon eye contact, without eye contact they seem to stay in place trusting I think that they are not seen.

  10. #10
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Good work, Joe. It can be difficult to get an interesting image when they are preening. You have succeeded.
    Thanks Paul, I always appreciate your comments and suggestions. I think this one I may have printed on canvas.

  11. #11
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    Hi Joe,

    Really an amazing look. The body looks like a pony's back and with the crisp rounded lines around the head area, it resembles a creature developed for a movie, and then there's that one eyeball to finish it off, and a feather in the cap to boot! Try a silhouette and see what happens.
    Hello Lon, I appreciate you taking time to view and comment. I'll investigate your suggestion of a silhouette.

  12. #12
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Nothing to add by way of constructive comment.

    So why am I posting? Just to add my compliments to those above, on an excellent piece of photography.
    Thank you Donald, your comments are always very much appreciated.

  13. #13
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Joe,

    Nice image, but I am seeing quite significant banding in all 4 corners.

    Edit: Doh - cancel that. Though shalt not make accusations of banding when (accidentally) working on a terminal services PC session with castrated colour depth!

    My apologies!
    Hello Colin, thank you for taking time to view and comment. I think what you saw as banding was a post crop vignette that I had added. I always struggle to have it subtle without being obvious. The laptop LCD screen that I do my editing on does not help because depending how the screen is placed it appears differently. I edited the image removing the vignette, if you have time see if you still see the possible banding.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Posts
    803
    Real Name
    Gretchen

    Re: Peeking At You...

    I love this.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Hello Colin, thank you for taking time to view and comment. I think what you saw as banding was a post crop vignette that I had added. I always struggle to have it subtle without being obvious. The laptop LCD screen that I do my editing on does not help because depending how the screen is placed it appears differently. I edited the image removing the vignette, if you have time see if you still see the possible banding.
    Hi Joe,

    I think you missed the edit to my post ... the banding was caused by me forgetting I was on a virtual PC at the time (and thus it had a very low colour depth) ... your vignette was fine

  16. #16
    Melkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville,NC
    Posts
    439
    Real Name
    Paul Melkus

    Re: Peeking At You...

    A very stunning shot. Job well done!

  17. #17
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    I love this.
    Thank you Gretchen, very much appreciated.

  18. #18
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Joe,

    I think you missed the edit to my post ... the banding was caused by me forgetting I was on a virtual PC at the time (and thus it had a very low colour depth) ... your vignette was fine
    Thanks for getting back Collin, your response is reassuring as I strive to get better.

  19. #19
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Peeking At You...

    Quote Originally Posted by Melkus View Post
    A very stunning shot. Job well done!
    Hello Paul, thank you for taking time to view and comment. Very much appreciated.

  20. #20
    MajaMolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    244
    Real Name
    Maja or Molly

    Re: Peeking At You...

    What a fun shot! I'll have to remember about not making eye contact. There is a pond I walk by where Herons frequent. But, as soon as they see me, off they go!

    You really captured whimsy in a bird that usually seems more stoic and stand-offish. Thanks for the smile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •