Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Carrion Crow and Jackdaw

Real Name
    Andy

Carrion Crow and Jackdaw

Well, my first trip out with the camera in a long time was a good opportunity to start as I mean to go on and flick the camera into RAW mode for the first time and also to test my knowledge and try to only use full manual mode (although I did doubt myself half way through and flicked back to 'A' mode for a while).

Not the most colorful birds, but they have heaps of character and are quite accommodating as they tend to pose for long enough to get a few shots before they are off to squabble with the mates.

C&C appreciated as always.

Carrion Crow
    Carrion Crow and Jackdaw

Another Carrion Crow
    Carrion Crow and Jackdaw

Jackdaw
    Carrion Crow and Jackdaw

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Carrion Crow and Jackdaw

And a successful evolution it is. Nice shot. Now that you are using RAW, you'll find it much easier to reduce highlights such as on the reflected light off the perch and feathers. Well done.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Well done. Interesting to see a jackdaw, having only read about them in books.

I suspect the background is about as blurred as you can get it in camera. Probably a larger aperture would result in less sharpness of the birds. Possibly try blurring,healing,cloning to reduce it somewhat. It is not that objectionable really, just a minor quibble.

Real Name
    Andy

Thanks for your kind comments. I will have a little play with the highlights on the fence. It was difficult to expose for a black bird on a bright sunny morning, especially as the birds were sitting on a metal fence.

tbob, yes, the DOF was as good as I could get it 'in camera' on the Crow pictures, but thats mainly down to not having the best glass for the job and taken at f4 I think. It's worked quite well on the Jackdaw as the focal length and room behind the bird was good. I will have a play around with the blurring, thanks for your input. Jackdaws are numerous where I live and are very bold considering their size against that of Rooks and Crows, they will happily compete with them. Isn't it funny how a bird I take for granted and see everyday is something rare for you, and vice versa with the exotic birds you must see in your part of the world. I suppose thats the pleasure of forums like this.

Real Name
    Bobo

I like these shots. Well done.

Real Name
    Andy

Thanks Bobobird

Real Name
    Paul

Well done Andy, black birds can be a pain at times and you have handled the exposure well. Being in direct light can give some detail but can also create serious shadow issues. so good job in the conditions.