Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Self Portrait

Real Name
    Blake

Self Portrait

Just picked up a Sigma 17-702.8-4 OS HSM today. Really is a phenomenal piece for the price point.

Now, crit my self portrait? I'm learning lighting.

Self Portrait

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Self Portrait

Blake - Good to hear that you're liking the lens. Congratulations on getting it.

As to the portrait - I'm not the person to really provide C & C on portraits as it's not 'my thing', but one comment (or question, really). You've cropped it pretty tight. I wondered if the idea of having the top of your hair go out-of-frame works better than having it inside the frame?

To me it looks well lit with one side-on light source. I'm sure the portraitists can come in and make more informed comments about that.

Real Name
    Andrew

I think it's a good self-portrait. Did you accomplish what you were shooting for (no pun) in your lighting experiment? I mean it looks good - pretty basic one light on camera left if I had to guess? Did you shoot through an umbrella, or something else to diffuse the light?

Looks like you've ended up with a decent shot.

PS - in your last post, you mentioned not having any models - try Kijiji, I actually got so many responses, I had to take the ad down, I didn't have time to handle everyone. Might be a good option for you.

Real Name
    John

Hi Blake,
    I too think this is a good effort. Lighting is so time consuming to learn, keep at it; it’s well worth the effort.

I would prefer a tighter crop myself something like this.
    What do you thing of the tighter crop?

Self Portrait

Real Name
    Blake

The tighter crop does look good. Let me guess, to get the eyes on that top third?

As for the models thing, I was just making a joke. I have two friends that want to do a shoot, one to model and the other as a MUA, which I'm seriously looking forward to.

Real Name
    Blake

and it is indeed one light off to camera left, shoot through umbrella. I had no real goals for the experiment, I'm just playing around and seeing what I get right now, as lighting is so new to me.