Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Study of Texture

Real Name
    Andrew

Study of Texture

While I'm on the theme of body parts.....

I was left to my devices last night, but could not leave the house as the kiddies were sleeping, so this is all I could come up with. I, as most of you may know, am not a huge fan of selective colourisation, but it needed something to separate the subject from the highly textured background. I have toned down the colour of the gold by quite a bit, just to make it a little less, well, selectively coloured I suppose.

Please let me know what you think!

Study of Texture

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Study of Texture

Hey, Andrew

Good to see you posting. Sometimes selective colorization just works (althought I'd be loathe to try and delineate when) and this really works for me. I think the gold coloring is perfect, the textures are amazing, and the DoF spot on. I really appreciate your use of contrast.

Real Name
    Jon

Andrew, great contrast and texture. The gold works very well for me also. Well done.

Real Name
    Kevin

Would a touch of a vignette add anything?

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Kevin, and Jon. I liked it too, but you know me with the contrasty, edgy stuff.

Kevin, my original edit had a mild vignette, it really didn't add, or subtract from the image, so I left it out. Actually, if anything it took away from the contrast in the peaks and valleys of the textures on my hand, and flattened it a little. Good call though - I thought the same.

Real Name
    Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    While I'm on the theme of body parts.....

I was left to my devices last night, but could not leave the house as the kiddies were sleeping, so this is all I could come up with. I, as most of you may know, am not a huge fan of selective colourisation, but it needed something to separate the subject from the highly textured background. I have toned down the colour of the gold by quite a bit, just to make it a little less, well, selectively coloured I suppose.

Please let me know what you think!

Study of Texture
    Andrew- how is this done? I just cannot figure out how to selectively colorize as you've done so well here. I have CS6 on my Mac. By the way, I really am enamored with this image! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!
    Tyler

Real Name
    Sergio

Andrew, you have taken your hand and ring and turned them into a very impressive image. After looking at it for a while, I can come up with different symbolic interpretations for what it might mean. It makes me think. Very nicely done.

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by unmerited View Post
    Andrew, you have taken your hand and ring and turned them into a very impressive image. After looking at it for a while, I can come up with different symbolic interpretations for what it might mean. It makes me think. Very nicely done.
    Well Sergio, I really appreciate that. I am always striving to make images that evoke some form of emotion, and so that means quite a lot to me. Originally, I had no motives, or intentions, I just wanted something to shoot. After I saw the first one (which was horribly lit, and lacked any kind of composition), I was inspired, and ended up taking about 40 or so shots, until I ended up with this one, which I took the time to process. Then, it took meaning. For me anyways.

Thanks again!

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by tybrad View Post
    Andrew- how is this done? I just cannot figure out how to selectively colorize as you've done so well here. I have CS6 on my Mac. By the way, I really am enamored with this image! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!
    Tyler
    Thanks Tyler - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

There are about a Brazilian ways (as my 5 year old would say - we still get a chuckle out of that one!), to achieve this type of image. And, interestingly enough, of all of them, I chose the easiest, probably least socially accepted way to do it for this particular one. In my defense though, it was getting late, and I wanted to go to bed having completed something, or I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Enough rambling. For this particular one, I opened the finished, processed B+W image in CS6. I then opened the finished, processed (original) colour image in CS6. I then created a new layer in the colour image. Next, I copied, and pasted the entire B+W image into that new layer above the colour image. Select the eraser tool, and start erasing anything you want to see from the lower layer.

This method is not ideal - but it is very, very simple. After your 2 images are processed, it would maybe take another 30 seconds or so to achieve this.

Hope that helps!

Real Name
    Andre Burger

I think this is an eye catching, rich in tone interesting image. Well done.

Real Name
    Steven

I love the tones and texture with that added touch color. I want to replicate this amazing photo, hope you don't mind. Only problem would be the B&W conversion part as I am still learning 8)

Real Name
    Miltos

A interesting, powerfull and different image.

I agree that an addition of a PP vignetting might improve it.

Could all work as a "Lord of the Ring" poster too

How did you light it?

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks for the compliment Andre, I appreciate it.

Steve, thank you too, and of course, you're welcome to replicate it, let us know how you make out!

Miltos, I'll try the vignette again and see how it works. The hand was lit with a single 580EXII at 12 o'clock to the camera. No diffuser of any kind, just raw flash, but turned way down. Like 1/16 power or even less if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!