Thread: Spring Migration

Real Name
    Chuck

Spring Migration

I was sorting through some of the photos I have taken this year and came across this one of elk migrating. They had been laying down in the wet grass so their coats are matted. Springtime in Jackson Hole is often rather wet with low clouds. This day was no exception.

Spring Migration

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Spring Migration

Another winner, Chuck. It's interesting that something so simple as a perfectly positioned stand of trees can anchor the image so nicely.

Real Name
    Joe

Striking image, I see you have the same love of nature that I do. Your images show the magnificence of Wyoming, compared to that Florida is bland and featureless.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thank you Mike and Joe. It is true that we have spectacular mountains, but Florida has birds that we can't even imagine - and you have captured many of those in your images. Bet your glad you have all those wonderful things to photograph. I'm glad you do. I like seeing your images. - Cheers, Chuck

Real Name
    Bobo

As someone who is severely handicapped in taking shots of landscapes I have only 2 criteria to judge a shot - varying degrees of good or not good.

This one is very good. I like it.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

My very first reaction was 'The elk are a bit lost in the landscape'. But then I realised that this is not an image of Elk. It is a landscape that features Elk in it.

A lot of us would see Elk and think - "I've got to get an image of the Elk", without stopping to compose it in such a way as to be able to produce an image that shows us wild animals very much in and being part of, their environment. And that, for me, is the beauty of and skill behind this image.
    Last edited by Donald; 15th November 2012 at 03:49 PM.

Real Name
    Mark

Donald has said it all, wonderful image, well done.

Real Name
    james

Chuck that is exactly how I imagined Wyoming to look. All I had to go by were the C.J Box novels. I always look forward to your photos thanks.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    A lot of us would see Elk and think - "I've got to get an image of the Elk", without stopping to compose it in such a way as to be able to produce an image that shows us wild animals very much in and being part of, their environment.
    A perfect description of the type of mistake that I would likely make.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Donald, I am so pleased that you recognized what I was trying to do. When I first started photographing in Jackson Hole I tried very hard to get the picture of the "elk". But I finally realized that many of the most powerful images that are being taken by long time nature photographers such as Tom Mangelsen and Henry Holdsworth are landscapes that include the wildlife of the place . These are difficult to get but well worth the effort. I will keep trying.

Cheers, Chuck