Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Has anyone used a Hoocap?

Real Name
    Richard

Has anyone used a Hoocap?

This looks like it might be a pretty good idea. It seems that it could make the lens easier to store mounted on the camera and would certainly be quicker to get into use than storing the lens with the lenshood reversed. However, $49 (USD) is a pretty high price to pay for something I don't know if I will like or use. The price is the same on eBay and is quite a bit more ($68.20) on Amazon.com...

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/09/30/...nd-vice-versa/

Any comments - one way or another?

Real Name
    Alex

Re: Has anyone used a Hoocap?

I like my hoods to be solid for the protection from knocks. I only store it at the end of shooting so I've only got to reverse it once in a while. For me this cap is not worth the price. Although I don't condone undercutting patent avoidance if you wait 6 months you'll be able to get an eBay knock-off for $10 if the original product is popular.

Alex

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by herbert View Post
    I like my hoods to be solid for the protection from knocks. I only store it at the end of shooting so I've only got to reverse it once in a while. For me this cap is not worth the price. Although I don't condone undercutting patent avoidance if you wait 6 months you'll be able to get an eBay knock-off for $10 if the original product is popular.

Alex
    Alex, you are very likely correct in your assessment that China sources will be bringing out knockoffs of this hood sometime in the future...

Real Name
    Scott

Makes your camera look a bit like the Hubble space telescope.

I would wonder if the hood shape/size is suited for every lens, though. Seems like every lens has its own special hood design, but this "Hoo" thing seems to be one-size-fits-all.
    I wonder if on a wide-angle lens it might show up in the photos, and/or on a telephoto whether it might not keep enough flare out.
    Just my $0.02

Real Name
    Richard

Actually, when I am traveling, I often use a 67mm generic round screw-in hood for my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens. It is smaller and more convenient with which to travel... It also stays on quite well and is easier to use with a CPL filter.. I lost an OEM hood shooting through a partially opened hotel window.

It protects my lens adequately from light rays and does a wonderful job of protecting the lens from damage. This was proven to me when I fell with the lens striking the concrete hood first. The hood was toast but the lens was not scratched.

It would be the 17-77mm f/2.8 IS lens on which I would consider using the Hoocap.