Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Flower that came up in my yard this year!!

Real Name
    Renee'

Flower that came up in my yard this year!!

Would appreciate feedback!

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Flower that came up in my yard this year!!

Hello Renee, I dare to comment on your photo
    First, about the composition, I would have looking for a better angle to get rid of the discontinued background (trees - sky) so I would get a nice and sweet bokeh. Then the lights...I suppose you used the flash as I see some lights and shadows on the flower. Maybe the natural light would have been better or maybe some disperser on the flash would improve the lighting.
    Then, the focus...I would use a tripod which will give you also the option of longer exposure time.
    And the last thing would be to help the flower look a bit better by cleaning if from that web spider (I guess?)
    That flower is a nice subject, I would insist with different setup, lights, etc

Real Name
    Renee'

I understand what you are saying about the background but where this flower came up it was either in the direction of the woods are my kids trampoline, the back of house, or a gas tank, so that is why I chose to shoot in this direction. I did not use a flash as far as I can remember but here is the original before I adjusting levels in photoshop. I actually went through and took out the spider webs. Thank you for your suggestions.

Renee'

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfisher View Post
    Hello Renee, I dare to comment on your photo
    First, about the composition, I would have looking for a better angle to get rid of the discontinued background (trees - sky) so I would get a nice and sweet bokeh. Then the lights...I suppose you used the flash as I see some lights and shadows on the flower. Maybe the natural light would have been better or maybe some disperser on the flash would improve the lighting.
    Then, the focus...I would use a tripod which will give you also the option of longer exposure time.
    And the last thing would be to help the flower look a bit better by cleaning if from that web spider (I guess?)
    That flower is a nice subject, I would insist with different setup, lights, etc

The original looks good to me, much more detail in the petals.

I would simply crop tighter at the top and left side to remove most of the distracting background.

Real Name
    Sharon

Renee, It's a beautifully architectural plant with lots of lovely shapes and angles.

Can I suggest something a bit different? When you are happy to have had it growing in your yard but before it goes over into seed..bring it indoors where you can control the lighting and the background and experiment with it without the outdoor distractions...try different backgrounds.shape it and position it as you will..have fun with it.

I promise you it will be a really useful learning experience.

Real Name
    Renee'

K, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Renee, It's a beautifully architectural plant with lots of lovely shapes and angles.

Can I suggest something a bit different? When you are happy to have had it growing in your yard but before it goes over into seed..bring it indoors where you can control the lighting and the background and experiment with it without the outdoor distractions...try different backgrounds.shape it and position it as you will..have fun with it.

I promise you it will be a really useful learning experience.