Thread: Another try at Autumn Colours

Real Name
    Keith

Another try at Autumn Colours

This was taken using a Circular Polarising Filter and then enhanced in Canon's RAW processor. Then converted to Jpeg for adjusting a few other bits.

With thanks to all the earlier CiC contributions.

Another try at Autumn Colours

Canon EOS 1000D with EF-S 18-55mm and a CPL Filter

Real Name
    Jim Manning

Re: Another try at Autumn Colours

This is a great photo! I must ask, though, did you have the CPL aligned correctly to the light? The sky seems bright and the reflections seem clear for being shot with one. The colours also seem a little pale as well. But, I love the composition.

Real Name
    Kevin

I agree with Jim that this is a very nice shot. It would be interesting to revisit the same spot later in the season to capture the evolution of color. I'm sure the CPL helped at least some- it wont of course achieve full effect unless you can be at 90 degrees to the incident light. Cant always do that depending on time of day and the vantage point that you need for your compostion. Well done,

Kevin

Real Name
    Keith

Hi Jim,

I am only just beginning to play with such esoteric devices as Circular Polarising Lenses, in fact I hadn't even heard of then until earlier this year and only bought it to use it to reduce the reflections on water. Using one to improve the autumn colours and the sky only came up in a discussion a couple of weeks ago. Even so this image is the result of some PP work in Canon DPP altering the white balance and increasing the colour saturation and the like. I am not even sure if this is the image I actually saw or is the one that my brain thought I saw- it is definitely the image I wanted.

This was taken late in the afternoon just before the sun was going down on a cold, bright afternoon. I was looking for my grandson, who was actually fishing the next pond up the valley and found this view. As I was standing on one of the fishing pegs it will be very easy to go back and get the very same view again, in different conditions.

Thank you for your comments.

Keith

Real Name
    Keith

Thanks Kevin. I have no doubt I will have plenty of opportunities as my grandson is not only a very accomplished angler he is also very dedicated and uses it as relaxation from the pressures of his schoolwork (he is just 16). He fishes, I take pictures. This is one of his favourite spots so I can go check on him whenever he goes. Perhaps I should start a thread for this and revisit it every time I get another version?

Keith

Real Name
    Jim Manning

Quote Originally Posted by KCBrecks View Post
    Hi Jim,

I am only just beginning to play with such esoteric devices as Circular Polarising Lenses, in fact I hadn't even heard of then until earlier this year and only bought it to use it to reduce the reflections on water. Using one to improve the autumn colours and the sky only came up in a discussion a couple of weeks ago. Even so this image is the result of some PP work in Canon DPP altering the white balance and increasing the colour saturation and the like. I am not even sure if this is the image I actually saw or is the one that my brain thought I saw- it is definitely the image I wanted.

This was taken late in the afternoon just before the sun was going down on a cold, bright afternoon. I was looking for my grandson, who was actually fishing the next pond up the valley and found this view. As I was standing on one of the fishing pegs it will be very easy to go back and get the very same view again, in different conditions.

Thank you for your comments.

Keith
    Keith, when using a CPL, if you look through your viewfinder and rotate the filter (you'll notice it is two rotating pieces, one screws onto the lens, the other rotates freely), while rotating, watch for changes in the light in your viewfinder and when it is right, then take the photo. If the filter is not aligned correctly to the light, then it is no more effective than removing it. Give it a try. Aim your camera at your computer screen and rotate the filter. You'll see the computer screen go dark and then come clear as you rotate the filter ring. Assuming you have an LCD screen. If not, got a cell phone? There's no advantage to using it this way, other than to illustrate to you the effect it has on your light. When it is dark, it is not aligned to the light, and when bright, it is. But only because it is direct light. With indirect light, like daylight from the sun, subtle reflections and sky and greenery colour will darken when aligned while outside.

One thing to remember, at maximum effectiveness, your CPL will pull your exposure down about 1 2/3 stops.
    Last edited by binsurf; 6th November 2012 at 02:16 AM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Late in the day the polarized light component in the sky is reduced so the CPL filter has less of a darkening effect on the sky. However reflections from water and glossy leaves etc may still have significant levels of polarized light so a CPL filter may still help by reducing glare and increasing colour saturation.

Real Name
    Keith

Hi Paul,

I think the CPL did help with the reflections from the water. I would have removed it and shot another without it however I was on a mission the check on the 'young-un' and there was a rather large and noisy young rotweiler straining at it's leash to the left, so my inate caution (cowardice in the face of dogs) made me make a hasty retreat before it had chance to escape it's handler.

And Jim ...

I had rotated the CPL and have to admit that the sweet spot was not immediately obvious however there was a noticeable raising of the colour intensity in the leaves and the water. I was using the P mode on the Canon camera and that was taking care of the exposure for me.

Keith