Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The image took me there

Real Name
    Allan Short

The image took me there

I was going through some images that I took back in May of this year, it was not one of the better images that I had done a little work on. I found it interesting and I just let it take me where it wanted to go, which was to the dark side. A number of images seem to take me down that path, when they finally get to to the desination I feel quite happy with the results. I do not know what it is, however I like the deep richness of the blacks against the contrast of the white, it in my mind is very relaxing. In that you have taken an image with a lot of complex elements and reduced it to two single elements.
    Boy I really do not know where that came from, however I hope that the image may move you the viewer in some way.

Cheers:

Allan

The image took me there

Real Name
    colin

Re: The image took me there

Allan you have definitely achieved your journey to the dark side. Love the spray at the base of the falls, it gives movement. Brilliant job.
    Colin.

Real Name
    Bobo

A journey that ended like this? Black is not really all that black there is still lots of texture in there. That fence on the top is nice too.

I am envious that you had such a shot to play with. Well done.

Q: just a small point - is the top right corner rounded ??

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

A very different (and equally impressive) take on the same waterfall that Mike posted images of here. It's interesting to compare and contrast.

I'm sure many thousands of people photograph it, but the other one who has done so impressively is Josef Hoflehner, here, which is a similar approach to Allan's.
    Last edited by Donald; 5th November 2012 at 04:31 PM.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Bobo thanks for the catch on at upper right hand corner, I would never have seen it.
    Donald thanks very much for your comparrison with Josef Hoflehner, until you mentioned him I had never heard of him. So I went to his site, I love his images very much, simple and moody with those long exposures that I like to do so much. Again thank you for putting me on to him and even thinking of comparring me to him in some small way WOW!

Cheers;

Allan

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

A really special image, Allan. Just terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'm sure many thousands of people photograph it
    I actually wonder about that. Notice that there are no people in Allan's image. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he didn't have to digitally remove them. My wife has an image of the waterfall with the double rainbow with no people in it and there were none in the capture. My very first photo of the waterfalls had only 7 people in front of it and, thankfully, they were perfectly positioned. This was in drop dead gorgeous light and weather. In 30 years of traveling, I have never seen such an iconic destination with so few people viewing it over a two-day period.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 5th November 2012 at 02:11 PM.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Mike: you are right I did not have to remove anyone as it was our group of 12 and 2 others. This has been the case both years I have travelled to Iceland always in May before the hords come. Also we usually stop twice once heading east to Hofn and then on the way back, as we are out early on the way east and late in the day back, we are able to miss the buses as it is either too early or late for them on to be there.
    Ask if I am willing to return a 3rd time and the answer is YES.

Cheers:

Allan