Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Glentress bike park

Glentress bike park

Apparently we can post sport pics on here too

These were mostly taken last summer using my wee Casio compact (EX-S770) at a nearby mountain biking centre (home of some of the best trails in the UK).

Glentress bike park

Glentress bike park

Glentress bike park

Glentress bike park

I call the next one Nice Camera
    Glentress bike park
    (that one was from an SLR but I switched the flash off for that shot so it was underexposed and I tried to rescue it)

A fun one...
    Glentress bike park

And one that got published in some magazine I've never seen....it was to promote biking in Scotland or something:
    Glentress bike park
    I have larger versions of that one online here.

Thanks for looking

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Glentress bike park

Andy

An impressive set. Nice to have another Scot on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Andy

An impressive set. Nice to have another Scot on board.
    Thanks Donald. Greetings from a sunny Penicuik

Tis a lovely forum you have here and I'm sure I'll stick around as I've no intention of hanging the cameras up any time soon.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

A very impressive set Andy,

It also demonstrates just how much can be achieved with a compact in the right conditions.

The SLR one looks like it would improve with a bit more PP TLC.
    The last one is very good.

You have a good eye for composition, well done.

Cheers Dave....the compact was my tool of choice and I'd only take the SLR if I was planning on using flash as the flash metering on a compact adds a lot to the shutter lag making it a lot less useful for action shots.

When using the compact I'd prefocus and be waiting for the rider with the shutter half-pressed ready to press it fully at the right moment. The shutter lag between fully pressing the button and the pic being taken is next to nothing. I think Casio compacts have tradionally been very good in this respect aswell as having bright screens that work well in bright sunlight. A lot of the time I was shooting at ISO 50 with the lens fully stopped down and still getting faster that 1/500th. When it was really bright the 1/2000th max shutter speed wasn't fast enough so I'd end up having to zoom in and step back to get smaller apertures at the long end of the zoom!

I agree about the PP TLC on the SLR pic although I suspect the others could probably go a bit spit and polish too. I'm not very good at the PP side of things....but I'm seeing lots of good feedback about that side of things here which has already been encouraging me to experiment more. I have a couple of images in mind that I now want to revisit but I need to find the originals first. (easier said than done with my filing)