Thread: Playing with Lens Flare

Real Name
    Pat

Playing with Lens Flare

Hi Folks,
    Came across this scene yesterday and wondered if the introduction of lens flare over the tree would add to the image, your thoughts and comments as always most welcome,
    Best Wishes, Pat

Playing with Lens Flare

Real Name
    Sergio

Re: Playing with Lens Flare

Pat, it's a very interesting effect. It's like a canon is firing multicolored balls into the scene through the tree.
    I think the image would have been fine without it, but for something different, yea, it's kinda cool looking.

Serge

Real Name
    Kevin

Interesting subject and image. I dont like about 3/4 of the images that include lens flare, and then there is the rare one that just works. If there are any rules about composing with lens flare, I have not found them. To me it's a crap shoot. And how is that for completely worthless feedback? I'm just muttering out loud, but would like to learn more about this area. Thanks for sharing your image.
    Last edited by kdoc856; 31st October 2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: typo

Real Name
    Pat

Thank you Serge, Kevin for your reply, I'm not fond of images with lens flare myself but as I was standing there I wondered what colours would come through in the flare, here is almost the same image with no flare.
    Best Wishes, Pat

Playing with Lens Flare

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Pat, my feeling about lens flair is, like any other element in a composition, for most of us it needs to either complement the subject or be the subject in order to have a chance at being acceptably dramatic.

In the very rare case you can ignore all the rules, jump off the ledge, and fly rather than fall! Usually that approach takes an above average amount of competence or some serious luck! The more you practice, the more competent (and lucky) you become!

Real Name
    Bobo

Sometimes it works, most times it does not. Flare does however have a place a can make an otherwise ordinary shot look good particularly in people shots.