Thread: Giant

Real Name
    Bobo

Giant

Giant Golden Orb Weaver.

Probably quite common in these parts as I was able to find them on 3 different days and locations.

The wikipedia write up is an interesting read. Particularly the bit about its silk being golden in colour. A cape woven from its silk was on display in London's Victoria and Albert Museum in June 2012. It is such a beautiful piece of work and you should go over and take a look.

I did not know that before and now that I do, will concentrate on the web colours more should the opportunity arise. In #2 and #3 thought it was just sunlight reflection and did not give it a second thought.

Giant

Giant

Giant

Giant

Giant

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Giant

The color, angle, smooth background, detail in the animal and the web, and the depth of field in #2 makes it stand out among the other very nice images.

You do know that this is not a bird, right?

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Mike.

By some accounts it preys on small birds (and snakes) so we have similar interests.

Have not had any birding opportunity except earlier in the month. Just too many butterflies to ignore.

About #2 I would have preferred to have got detail on the tail end and not a highlighted blob but...

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Bobo,
    Very Nice, if it is possible to got back in the early morning when the spider constructs a brand new web it could prove interesting.
    Best Wishes Pat

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Pat.

We did arrive at the location in the early morning but it was past 11am when I found him and the sun was pretty high.

Today might be a good day to go hunting - very hazy and misty with some rain expected. Light will be terrible though.

Real Name
    Steve

Nice detail on these bobo, and congrats on the new toy.

Real Name
    Joe

Nice images Bobo, even though spiders are one thing I could have nightmares about. Very interesting write up I learned from your post and could see the golden web.

Real Name
    Matthew

#2 is spectacular! Very nice work. Would you mind listing the camera/lens used for these shots?
    ps I am arachnophobic but if I saw this, I'd overcome my fears to shoot it!

Real Name
    Terri

Those are some of the coolest spider pics I've seen in a while. Love the first 2 especially.

Real Name
    Paul

Not much I can add to the above Bobo, all are good but #1 and to are fantastic. Really nicely seen and captured. Great color too.

Real Name
    Bobo

Steve, Joe, Matt, Terri, Paul - thank you very much.

Camera - 5D3 but a cropper would have allowed an even closer FOV.
    Lens #1 and #2 - 70-300L @ 300mm. #4-6 Sigma 150mm macro.

Settings -
    Manual mode
    #1 - f16, 1/500, ISO1600
    #2 - f8, 1/400, ISO320

AV mode - all ISO 800, +1/3EV. Additional lighting from a LED flashlight to bring out the web somewhat.
    #3 - f9, 1/80
    #4 - f9, 1/125
    #5 - f8, 1/60

Real Name
    Frank Miller

It is amazing what a really good camera in the hands of a competent photographer can do! Very nice set Bobo! I love the detail in #1 and the full size image in #2. Most Orb Weaver's I have seen have had about a 1 1/4" long body so I visualize that this is about the same?

Real Name
    Harry

Great pics Bobo, I would like to try something like these myself, thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Frank.

Competent? Me?? LOL. Far from it my friend, far from it.
    Body length - they looked pretty big but comparing it to the full size cricket it was eating I would guess that it was about 1.5-2 times the length of his meal. According to wikipedia, some seen in Taiwan were 7" long. In Australia they have been seen to eat small birds and a medium sized snake. Do check that article it is an interesting read and the shot of a cape woven from its silk is simply awesome.

Thanks Harry. Compared to other insects their size makes it much easier to photograph. Do give them a try. Today I was trying to photograph one that was a mere 3-4mm or so in length and got nowhere.