Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Gorge Inlet in Autumn

Real Name
    Bruce

Gorge Inlet in Autumn

Two pictures taken a couple of weeks ago along a winding tidal inlet. C&C appreciated.

#1 Taken at 50mm (in hindsight, I could have used my 50mm macro), 1/400 @f7.1, manual
    Gorge Inlet in Autumn

Gorge Inlet in Autumn

Both were taken with the kit 18-200mm lens, cable release, mirror locked up and ISO 200. They're my first use of a newly acquired polarizing filter.

Re: Gorge Inlet in Autumn

They both look fine to me, Bruce.

How do you find the polarizer? I've tried them a few times but never found any benefit compared to a bit of exposure compensation.

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Bruce

I'm not at home on my monitor, but by this cheap one at work I'd judge that both of these nice shots would be improved by nudging down the luminance. Please disregard if this is blatantly wrong in your viewing.

I use polarizing filters alot and have read landscape pros say they dont go out without a polairzer on. My personal experience is that there is an enormous difference between a cheap polarizer (I have several) and a good one. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Singh Ray, and it makes a real difference.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Yes both nice shots Bruce. I like the lines in the first and the reflections in the second. I'd reduce the highlights and boost the colour saturation a bit to emphasise those nice Autumn colours.

Dave

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff, Kevin and Dave, thanks for your comments. I'll post reworked versions -- but my editing skills are still slow.

The polarizer used in these photos was a B&W. I'd read nice things about Singh Ray filters but also noted their price tag so went for something other than top end.

Both pictures were part of larger exposure bracketed collections trying out different rotations on the polarizer, etc. The exposure brackets were 1 stop but in every case the over and unders were too much so I ended up using the middle "original" exposure. In the future, I'll try bracketing with a 2/3 stop difference.