Thread: Shadows Abstract

Real Name
    Natalie

Shadows Abstract

Something drew my eye to the shadow on the wall .......any merit in this ?

Shadows Abstract

in B&W

Shadows Abstract

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Shadows Abstract

The first one is SO dramatic.

The only thing that I don't like about it is that the window competes with the shadow for being the subject. If you cropped it just enough to eliminate a small part of the window, that problem goes away for me. If you could also add more of the tree's shadow to the right, that would make it even better by allowing approximately the same aspect ratio as you have presented here.

Real Name
    Mark

Fantastic concept and almost executed perfectly well done +1 on mikes comments and the twigs in the top need to go. not asking for much are we???

Real Name
    Natalie

not asking for much are we?
    LOL! Good suggestions, thank you both....but if I extend the image to the right, I get the real tree.....the branches I could clone out......about the window...I thought it added to it because the branches were reflected in there, mimicking the shadows....hmmmmm....will have to give this more thought....Thank you!

Real Name
    Kevin

Nat,

I thought the interplay between what was shadow and what was reflection came across well and interestlingly, but the drama of the effect was diminished by the area under the glass portion of the window. How about a severe crop horizontally, just at juncture of the glass and stone parts of the window, so then the points of comparison are starkly side by side?

Real Name
    ruby

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Nat,

I thought the interplay between what was shadow and what was reflection came across well and interestlingly, but the drama of the effect was diminished by the area under the glass portion of the window. How about a severe crop horizontally, just at juncture of the glass and stone parts of the window, so then the points of comparison are starkly side by side?

Brilliant idea!

I agree with Ruby: That really is brilliant, Kevin. You mentioned that the points of comparison become starkly side by side. For me, it's as if the shadow and the reflection are reaching to touch each other almost in an out-of-body sort of way.

Real Name
    Natalie

Well, I tried some edits: removed the branches and cropped off the bottom. After looking at them, I still prefered my original color image.....but when I posted here, and compared my two images, I'm no longer sure the original is the better. LOL! I do thank you for your suggestions. I'm sure there will be many differing opinions....which is good. Variety is the spice........

Shadows Abstract

Unlike the first version, there is no question in my mind what the subject is in this revised version.

Real Name
    Terri

Spice indeed. I must say that Mike is much more experienced than I am, but I do like the first image better. I don't know, maybe I was influenced by your title but I didn't have an issue with the subject and I like the vertical orientation which shows more of the tree's shadow.