Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Pain in the Arch

Real Name
    Frank Miller

A Pain in the Arch

I'm never sure whether an image looks better by addressing the keystone distortion introduced by a camera or not. Sometimes I like the result; sometimes I'm not so sure.

It's the same way with tourists. If you want to show the 'street scene' you leave them in as they are an integral part of the scene. If, however, you are trying to see the architecture, particularly ancient archetecture, then they are a distraction and a PITA.

A Pain in the Arch

I had time on my hands and started playing. First, I started losing tourists and their shadows, next, the concrete bumpers were in the way, and then I thought, “If we wanted to see this as much as possible as it was 1,700 years ago, what else would need to be corrected”? However, there was no practical way to take down that ugly fence so there I was, halfway to my goal and very frustrated. To me, it feels like an unfinished painting.

A Pain in the Arch

Well, what is so fascinating about this 'Arch of Constantine'?

This huge triumphal arch (21 meters high), with three barrel-vaulted passageways, was erected to commemorate Constantine's victory over Maxentius at the Battle of Milvian Bridge in 312. It is just west of the Colosseum and dwarfs the nearby Arch of Titus. It incorporates recycled sculpture from earlier monuments, in part as some suggest, because creativity and technical skill had fallen off by this time period, but perhaps also because of a desire to associate Constantine with the "good emperors" Trajan, Hadrian, and Marcus Aurelius, whose monuments were cannibalized for sculpture. The faces of these emperors were recut to the features of Constantine.

For more information, please see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_of_Constantine

Real Name
    Philip

Re: A Pain in the Arch

Hello Frank
    In my opinion, this type of image is better without the tourists and probably any other fore ground clutter that could be avoided or removed. After all, the image is of the architectural feature and is not a 'street' photograph when the people would be integral to the scene.
    Just a thought...
    Cheers
    Phil

Real Name
    Ken Outch

I agree with Phil. However it is virtually impossible to get people free shots of the 'wonders of the world.' The buggers will insist on getting their big heads and fat bums in the frame! So we either have to clone them out or accept them as part of the scene and live with it. Maybe we could convince ourselves that the trespassing tourists are important in adding vibrancy, colour and life to our shots?
    Just for comparison here are a couple of arches. One is Constantine's arch near the Coliseum as posted by Frank with people clutter. The other was a lucky shot of Trajan's arch which is not far away, with no people clutter; just for architectural comparison.

While I was at it, just for interest sake for those who may never have seen it, I have bunged on a couple of shots of the old 'Colie' with which all are familiar, but showing the under arena structures, which many may not have seen.
    Fortunately the people in the second two shots are fairly contained in 'compounds' and not too obtrusive; easily swept away with the clone tool!

Maybe others may like to add a comment on Frank's philosophizing over to have or not to have people in frame? Please don't let me be the only one out on a limb shooting my mouth off!

cheers
    K

A Pain in the Arch

A Pain in the Arch

A Pain in the Arch

A Pain in the Arch

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't know, Philip and Ken. Maybe we scared them all off?

Real Name
    Mark

But Ken you promised tourist free in the second shot!! i can see one... bottom left we can see his hat get that clone tool revved up!!

Real Name
    Phil Page

May I offer two other options:

1 - tripod and multiple exposures (in full manual, manual WB) - then clone out in layers after the fact.

Time on site - medium
    Time in front of a computer, quietly going crazy - high

2 - Tripod and stacked ND filters. A 10 stop and 3 or 5 stop here with an exposure measured in minutes. That should obliterate all but the most stubborn Chinese/Far Eastern peace sign waving subjects and photographers!

Time on site - high
    Chance of creating a tourist attraction of yourself - high
    Time in front of a computer - low

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    May I offer two other options:

1 - tripod and multiple exposures (in full manual, manual WB) - then clone out in layers after the fact.

Time on site - medium
    Time in front of a computer, quietly going crazy - high

2 - Tripod and stacked ND filters. A 10 stop and 3 or 5 stop here with an exposure measured in minutes. That should obliterate all but the most stubborn Chinese/Far Eastern peace sign waving subjects and photographers!

Time on site - high
    Chance of creating a tourist attraction of yourself - high
    Time in front of a computer - low
    One day I'm going to play with ND filters Phil! There is more than one benefit to using them.

For this shot I took maybe 10-12 images over 3-5 minutes. I just had to try to remember where people were from image to image to get those spots clear.