Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sinking Ship

Real Name
    Jason

Sinking Ship

Hey all,

Here's a shot I took of a sinking ferry last night. I don't know much on the history of it other than that when I was retired it was used as a restaurant and bar. It has now fell into disrepair and begun to sink.

Sinking Ship

Here's radically different shot from nearby.

Sinking Ship

Let me know what you guys think

-Jason

Real Name
    David

Re: Sinking Ship

Liking the second picture, adds a bit of mystery as to where the path is leading. Possibly the light in the centre of the picture is a little overpowering for me but also brings out the detail on the tree on the right.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Jason, there is more about the murder that precipitated the Binghamton's settling into the mud flats here.

Sad end to a grand lady of the Hudson.

Real Name
    John

Very nice, the second photo is very moody as well. What are the sources of light, there is a greenish tinge on the bark of the foremost tree.

Real Name
    Miltos

Hello Jason, nice photos.

#1. I like the way you handled this impressive unique moment. To go beyond the high impact of the moment -we don't see a ship sinking every day- and make a well balanced photograph. I think in such situations it is harder to "make a photograph" apart from "capture the impressive moment.

#2. Very moody. I like the effect of sodium vapor lighting, I have interest in these situation myself. What is actually happening is that you see everything in tones of yellow since this light is almost monochromatic (any other colors you see is the result of other lighting sources nearby). The problem is that our camera (and eyes!) can not record this wavelength very well because they both work for the red-green-blue triplet so there is a strange mystery on the final result.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Ditto to all of the above.

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    Hello Jason, nice photos.

#1. I like the way you handled this impressive unique moment. To go beyond the high impact of the moment -we don't see a ship sinking every day- and make a well balanced photograph. I think in such situations it is harder to "make a photograph" apart from "capture the impressive moment.
    Well fortunately for me this moment it hasn't changed in months. the boat is now stuck in the mud along with another barge seen on the right of the photo. So I can always have another go.

John- The light is what Miltos had said, at least that is if he is right. I didn't have a clue as to what kind of light it was for wb. The green light on the tree is coming from a grocery store parking lot. The green hue is because I adjusted the color balance, perhaps too much, I hadn't actually noticed it until now. Time for another go with this one in cs6.

Thanks everyone for the feedback

-Jason

Real Name
    Philip

Love the mood conjured up in your 'Sinking Ship' shot. Good conversion.

Phil