Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some Good Shoots...Improvements

Some Good Shoots...Improvements

First thread so not quite sure how this whole things work, but what does someone with a photographic eye think of these? I don't know how to use PS even if I knew what was wrong, but I'm still trying to learn!

http://img67.imageshack.us/i/dsc03227.jpg/
    http://img268.imageshack.us/i/dsc03901hdr.jpg/

My first HDR try:
    Original:
    http://img233.imageshack.us/i/dsc03756f.jpg/

After:
    http://img233.imageshack.us/i/dsc03756hdr.jpg/
    Last edited by Captain; 15th September 2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Links, instead of pictures ;)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Some Good Shoots...Improvements

Captain

Welcome on Board. Keep firing the questions. There are lots of people on here who will guide and advise.

Pics 1 & 2 haven't been resized down and, as a result (on my system anyway) take a long time to load.

Donald

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Captain,

Welcome to the CiC forums.

As Donald points out you really do need to re-size the first 3 big images above
    Can you give us 800 pixel links for all of them?
    If not, you will need to do it in Photoshop; from menu; Image > Resize and overtype the width with say 800 or 1000, 1200 tops. Then re-upload the images, then re-link into the post.

I can do the last bit for you if you PM (Private Message) me with the new links.

Thanks,

Real Name

Hi again Keith,

#1; Composition is fine, I'm guessing the subject is the cigar, possibly a little higher angle would help, but on the whole it's ok. On any re-shoot, look at the coincidence of the background wall floor join and how it aligns with the foreground elements of the picture.

#2; On this, I think composition would be improved if the subject were sitting at the end of the bench (i.e. more to the right of shot) so she was a) nearer 'a third' and b) looking into the picture more comfortably than she currently is.

#3 and #4; Composition is ok, the HDR result (#4) is displaying the fairly common pale halos around buildings, etc. at the edges between sky and ground, which is something I am not personally a fan of. That said, it is, due to being brighter, better to look at than #3.

Hope that helps,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 15th September 2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: add name

Sorry about the pics guys, not my intention to cause anyone trouble! I fixed the pictures to links, so one can view at their leisure and not be forced to view 4 pics everytime they open the thread. Even then, it displays a scaled down verision.

Thanks for the tips Dave, I'll take them into consideration in the future.

It never occurred more to me than after having purchased the camera that anyone can click the button on top, but it's that eye of good photo ju-ju that separates the men from the boys.

Real Name

Hi Keith,

Thanks for putting in links, smaller pics are better, but this way saves you the hassle, although less people will see them.

#2 suffers from your self diagnosed "in the middle" problem

Cheers,