Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Who's blogging???

Real Name
    Phil Page

Who's blogging???

So is anyone on CiC blogging?

I am, but I'm typing to myself generally - very depressing, and I feel like a complete Billy-no-mates!

Anyone's more than welcome to add links to their blogs here, or to add a few comments, however vacuous, to mine to spur me on!!!!!

http://philpage.zenfolio.com/blog

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Who's blogging???

I've never got into blogging, although everyone seems to be saying it's the way to go to establish a presence and get your work known. My problem, I think, is having read that the absolute essential to a blog is to regularly and frequently update it, I know that I'd likely struggle to to that.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I'm giving (given) it a go, but it is a lot of work. To be honest, I think I'm getting more traction with my facebook page because of the way it cross-links everyone. Ultimately I'm resigned to the fact that I'll probably need to do both.

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    So is anyone on CiC blogging?
    I kept a blog over the summer while I was travelling for seven weeks but only for fun, so family could follow my adventure. I enjoyed telling a little of what I'd done that day and illustrating it with a picture or two.

I've not added to the blog since I got back and I can't see me adding to it again even in the medium term. I'm not a pro photographer, I'm not even an amateur looking to promote my pictures!

Ken

Real Name
    Alex

Nice blog Phil. I've added it to my RSS feeds.

It seems like it is written as a photographer really enjoying his work. Many blogs now seem to be pushing a big sell to get more click-stream revenue. I find them an uninspiring turn-off.

Keep enjoying it.

Alex

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

I came across your web site yesterday or the day before after seeing your pictures of Gotham city. Have linked to your web site blog, have only been on CIC about a week. Currently, I don't have enough photography experience to do anything but whine that it is hard. I would love to blog, but I am afraid my energy would lean toward the abominable campaign going on in the US currently. Now that I know you are here I will check in and if I have 2 cents worth will be glad to share it with you.

Real Name
    Ted

A blog is useful to have a web presence without having to be a webmaster. It's not really necessary to add posts daily, so to speak. Here's mine:

tcktek.blogspot.com

Real Name
    J stands for John

As to if you have a presence on the web you need to google [or other engines] your name. I did this and gave up after I got to page 25 of links to things I wrote and forgotten about [ some I wished others had too ] while with my real name I didn't find a confirmed link until around page four or five. I also have a blog but have not added to it for over two months.
    Funny thing I found a professional photographer with my name in the UK before I found myself, so probably just as well I use this name on the web.

Real Name
    Dave

Yes, I have a blog.

The comment about having to keep it up to date is relevant. I have only had one for a relatively short time and I am already well behind with what I wanted to do.

I'm using mainly it for my own amusement and, I hope the same, for a few others.

Dave

If anyone wants to have a look it is here - http://davemphotos.blogspot.co.uk/

Real Name
    Gary

Phil,

To use your expression of 'Billy-no-mates!' I would suspect that of the thousands(millions?) of them out there the majority fall into that category. The social media market is a pretty crowded one with facebook, twitter, blogs etc. I guess the starting point for these things is what is the purpose you want them for? Are you trying to appeal to a wide audience, to a niche one or maybe just a personal one for immediate family and friends. Of all of the social media available personally I find Twitter the most accessible for a couple of reasons. One in terms of time it can be read quickly and secondly links can be embedded so that you give/find access to further info.. I must admit I don't actively seek out blogs but am more likely to come across them when I am doing google searches for some information I am looking for. Like many I have been led to believe that I need a presence in all of these social media outlets but the reality can be is, do I really want to spend a big chunk of time keeping them upto date? I guess that for me anyway I started by trying to use a selection of these and I must admit the first one to fall by the wayside was blogging. As to be quite honest I struggled to keep writing anything interesting! I guess that's because I didn't have a really well defined purpose for it. Again, it's down to what you are trying to achieve with social media but I have ended up by using only a couple which I found worked for me.

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Richard

A blog would be nice but, would also be a lot of work! I am not sure that I have the time nor the energy for consistant blogging. I also don't post on facebook, twitter or other like social media sites. I guess it is because I could be so self centered that I really seem to have little interest in the minutia of the day-to-day lives of others.

I really don't care if Auntie Jane visited somebody or that baby Jake cut his first tooth. Along those lines, people would quickly get bored with my life filled with rescue dogs.

OTOH, facebook, etc. is a great way to get people interested in our rescue activities. We do have some volunteers with our Maltese Rescue organization who post on facebook etc. I send images to them and they post the images on various social networks. I don't even visit those sites.

I have a blog geared towards some of the more advanced photographers that are so prevalent on these forums. If your looking to improve your photography skills check it out my photography blog. My blogging style is to only add posts occasionally, but I keep my posts invaluable and unique.

Interestingly I believe the person who has benefited the most from my blog is myself. I learn a lot from the the research I do when preparing for a post. The knowledge that I learn from blogging is what keeps me motivated to blog more, and I would recommend others to start a blog because you will learn a lot.