Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 'Eco Replace Box' lenses available on Ebay - genuine??

Real Name
    Adrian

'Eco Replace Box' lenses available on Ebay - genuine??

Hi everyone

I've noticed a number of adverts for Samsung NX lens (yep I have an NX 11) that are considerably cheaper than shop prices; the sellers have very good reviews.

Specifically I've seen the 60mm macro for around £150 cheaper than usual and the 85mm for £400 (normally circa £800+). In both cases they're advertised as new but in 'Eco replace box', i.e. with front/rear lens cap only....no pouch, lens hood and presumably original warranty.

Thoughts anyone?? :-)

Adrian

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: 'Eco Replace Box' lenses available on Ebay - genuine??

I live by the motto; if a deal looks to good to be true (i.e. what you expect), then it probably is too good to be true.

I probably missed out on a few bargains, but also a lot of stress and being ripped off.

Once, I did succumb and bought what was supposed to be a genuine Canon spare battery from an Amazon UK reseller, I am sure it wasn't (genuine) and Canon were fairly convinced too, because I had gone through Amazon, I did eventually get my money back

Not sure I would have had I not bought through Amazon though, the supplier could hardly ignore my messages, as they knew they'd risk their outlet via Amazon if they didn't play fair.

Next time I bought directly from Amazon, but a Duracell version, seems OK.

Batteries and memory cards are easy to fake, but a lens, well, that's probably far less likely to be fake, although it's not unheard of. I suspect you are correct about no warranty and you've no idea how well they have been shipped if not packaged properly.

Well I wouldn't - but you probably gessed that by now

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The other possibility is that it is "grey market", i.e. not imported by the authorized importer, and in that case if something goes wrong with it, you may not be able to get it serviced. Part of the price you pay for authorized imports covers the cost of warranty repairs.

Real Name
    Richard

Check to prices of the eBay lenses you are considering against the prices of those lenses at Adorama and B&H in New York City. If they are significantly lower in price than those outlets, I could just about guarantee that there is some problem with the lens of the seller.

Real Name
    Christopher

I bought a Nikon lens on ebay that was considerably cheaper than one might expect. It was delivered in new condition but in a plain white box, with no paperwork. I contacted the vendor who explained that the lens had been part of a kit offered for sale in the Far East, from which the lens had been stripped. Anyhow, the lens has performed perfectly, and I have no regrets about buying it.

Real Name
    Adrian

I've contacted a couple of the Sellers; one says his brother works for Samsung EU and that's where he gets the lens. The other offers a 6 month . Both have excellent reviews. I need to do a risk assessment lol