Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: On the Way to a Shoot

Real Name
    Kevin

On the Way to a Shoot

Just before sunrise, heading to a shoot deep in the Hocking Hills, glanced up and saw a corner of a field where the crops and sky each represented a homogeneous entity, distinctly demarcated, uncluttered by extraneous elements, sort of a trinity of Nature.

So I whipped onto the nearly non-existent berm with one eye behind me and one eye in front and grabbed a few shots from the car. Had just a little leeway in composition. Does this work, and does the crop work? Thanks for viewing.

On the Way to a Shoot
    Last edited by kdoc856; 2nd October 2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo correction

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: On the Way to a Shoot

This works beautifully for me. It's simplicity is so exquisite.

The fact that the three primary areas and the slight shadowed area near the top of the green are bounded by very gentle curves is so striking. In fact, notice that the bottom of the shadowed area in the middle of the green is bounded by a straight line. You might want to consider digitally making that an ever so slight curve.

For me, the green area and the corn (or whatever it is) are over sharpened at all viewing sizes. It also appears that you perhaps sharpened the sky. If so, remove all sharpening there. My experience is that sharpened skies look especially bad when displayed on a large HD television.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thank you, Mike. There was actually almost no sharpening done- the sun had just gotten up and was creating a ton of highlights on the small leaves and stalks, and that certainly does seem to magnify the impact of sharpening artifact. Thanks for commenting

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

At first I was not sure at all, but as I've looked at it more and more throughout the day, I get what Mike is saying about its simplicity. I'm viewing it as, effectively, an abstract of geometric shapes and, for me, on that level, it is a delight.

I think it one of those that people will either connect with or not connect with (it's not 'wrong' to not connect with it) and reactions will mirror that.

Real Name
    Miltos

This photo represents what I really about photography. Subtracts a small part of the world and presents it through the photographer's vision.

I don't care (me the viewer) what I don't know: what is outside the frame. It could be more fields, a factory, some people (even dead people), aliens, garbages, it doesn't matter. When I see the photograph my whole world for few moments is these lovely shapes, colors,textures and tonalities combined in harmony constrained by four lines, the edges of the frame. And that's fascinating.

Simplicity always facilitates things (see my signature, the part on the right ).

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks, Donald

I appreciate just getting any response on this one. I felt it would likely appeal to some rather than general tastes, but was surprised at so little reaction at all. This one grew on me bit by bit, and it appeals to me it as a minimalist expression, and would like to improve it if possible.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    and would like to improve it if possible.
    I'm not sure there's anything needed to improve it.

The only thing that entered my head was cropping to put the point at which the crop, field and sky meet at the top left 'thirds' intersection. Hope you don't mind ............................. If it adds anything, I think it's about contributing to the geometric nature of it.

On the Way to a Shoot

Real Name
    Kevin

Miltos,

Thanks so much. Your description is a very apt summary of what I was shooting for. I needed your affirmation- thought I had lost my little photographic mind for a bit.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks, again ,Donald

That intersection was the original target- just missed a bit. And alwzys feel free to edit any of my shots: it's sometimes just so much easier than marching thru a narrative

Kevin
    Last edited by kdoc856; 2nd October 2012 at 09:10 PM.

I have really enjoyed revisiting this image -- both versions. Really terrific stuff going on there!

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Kevin, really nice image. The minimalist nature of this image gives it the beauty.

I would try to revise the blue sky slightly so it does not appear so gray. Of course that is personal taste issue, and might not be something you would want.

Real Name
    Kevin

Ken,

You are totally right. If I were home right now I'd include the original- there was a completely dull, slate gray sky that I tweeked in every way I know how, and going any further either generated a lot of noise or posterization banding. I'd be quite interested if anybody else could milk some more natural-looking color out of it- if I have time tomorrow I'll post it.

Real Name
    Wayne

It's all been said already, but it bears repeating:

It IS geometry, it IS minimalism, it I abstraction, and it is great!
    So many photographers would walk or drive past a scene such as this considering it too plain, too boring even. You saw it and you caught it! Good stuff.

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by waha View Post
    It's all been said already, but it bears repeating:

It IS geometry, it IS minimalism, it I abstraction, and it is great!
    So many photographers would walk or drive past a scene such as this considering it too plain, too boring even. You saw it and you caught it! Good stuff.

Wayne, I very much appreciate that

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    If you are running Windows, check out the Settings > Desktop picture called 'Bliss". Just add some clouds.

Andrew, Interesting thought. I am a little reluctant to do so as what attracted me to the simplicity and geometry of the 3 elements was the unmitigated, uninterupted continuity of each. But just a couple (or 3) of very small clouds might be work. I have a collection of cool clouds that I've shot over the last year just for potential inserts- I'll play with that here. Thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    there was a completely dull, slate gray sky that I tweeked in every way I know how, and going any further either generated a lot of noise or posterization banding.
    My software has the capability to alter the color balance using three sliders, one for each of the RGB channels. I used the blue channel to add just a hint of blue and it looked fine to me with no adverse affects at least in this small image.

Real Name
    Kevin

Andrew, oops, it was 0430 when I read (misread) that. Sorry for the misinterp.

Mike- LR 4 has a new adjustment brush that adjusts colors and hue in a selective way without requiring a layer mask. I'l have a go with it. Thanks for the thought

PS-
    Actually, here's a quick go at it. I'm including the original

On the Way to a Shoot
    On the Way to a Shoot
    Last edited by kdoc856; 3rd October 2012 at 01:12 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Kevin, between your originally posted picture and the adjusted one with blue sky, my preference is for the first version. IMO, if one was creating purely abstract art, one might want the brighter blue but, not being a fan of abstract art, my sense would be for a slightly more intense blue than in the original but not as intense as in the second version.

A very interesting photo.