Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: photography locations in Scotland??

photography locations in Scotland??

I'm leaving for a vacation in Scotland on September 22. We land in Edinburgh then head to Loch Lomond area for a couple of days and then north along the west coast and isles. I was planning on going as far north as Invewere Gardens. I don't plan on going south of Edinburgh. I was wondering if any of you had thoughts about good photo locations. I think it is a beautiful country and undoubtedly there are numerous places. I wanted to see what the "locals" or others that have travelled there have to say. I have 2 wks in Scotland then will likely head to Cromwell area in England for 1 wk. Any thoughts for that region ( Southern England) would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance, Kim

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: photography locations in Scotland??

Hmmmm, I know I am not the England's best geographer, but "Cromwell" is not a place name I know of in southern England. Is it possible you've made a typo?

I do know of a Cromwell Road (in London), but there are probably several of those in southern England.

Since I've rarely been to Scotland, and I know we've several helpful chaps 'up there', I'll let them speak for it.

Cheers,

You're right..how about Cornwall. Sorry about that

Real Name
    Will

Do you have a particular type of photograph in mind? nature, landscape, urban, people etc.... Im not particularly familiar with scotland, but it might help you get the answers you are after from someone who does.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by klf View Post
    I was wondering if any of you had thoughts about good photo locations. I think it is a beautiful country
    Kim
    Okay, how long have you got!!
    Although I live in the central area of Scotland now (about 40 minutes north of Edinburgh), I was born and grew up in the north west Highlands. Maybe you could give us an idea (happy to get a personal message if you'd wish) about what sort of plans you have; e.g. is this a vacation in which you want to travel around to see as much as possible, or are you focusing on photography and would be happy to spend more time in fewer places.

There are probably lots of 'must dos'; e.g. Glencoe, Torridon, Skye. John Revie will, I'm sure, have lots of ideas about Argyll (which, in my view, is absolutely gorgeous and people overlook it in their unbridled enthusiasm for the aforementioned). Indeed a trip through some of Argyll as you leave Loch Lomond (over the Rest and be Thankful [nice name for a road]) to Inveraray, up through Glencoe to Fort William and onto Skye or up the winding roads of the west coast towards Inverewe, would be magical.

Happy to give more specific suggestions if you want.
    Donald

ps - The other thing you've got to see is shinty, but that's another story altogether. Check out www.shinty.com

Quote Originally Posted by wjh31
    Do you have a particular type of photograph in mind? nature, landscape, urban, people etc.... Im not particularly familiar with scotland, but it might help you get the answers you are after from someone who does.

Nature and Landscape primarily, but love the pictures of Tobermory Harbour, and similar harbours on Skye. The colors of the boats and buildings (plus the age of some of the buildings) really seem to make beautiful scenes. That goes for just viewing and photography. Colorado has incredible scenery, but we definitely don't have the history and age of the buildings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by klf View Post
    Nature and Landscape primarily, but love the pictures of Tobermory Harbour, and similar harbours on Skye. The colors of the boats and buildings (plus the age of some of the buildings) really seem to make beautiful scenes. That goes for just viewing and photography. Colorado has incredible scenery, but we definitely don't have the history and age of the buildings, etc.

Sure you do....

The Coors brewery in Golden...

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    Sure you do....

The Coors brewery in Golden...
    You're right. That's pretty old

Thanks, Shinty looks similar to field hockey.

Real Name
    David

Hi klf - I'll echo Donald's suggestions and add one of my own - don't forget the distilleries. There's some fine architecture and settings to be found in and around the malt distilleries and they also produce something called whisky (spelt without an e in it). Well worth trying.

Cheers

David

I have just been to Loch Lomond for a few days. It was beautiful even in the driving rain and incredibly low cloud. Make sure you take a big brolly and/or waterproofing for your camera. The shots are still there. Not that I got any chance, damned wedding got in the way

Steve

Well, as someone who lived in Scotland for 4 years, I have to say you are not spoilt for choice! Virtually anywhere in Scotland, but particularly the Western Islands and Highlands are great. And the cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow are great for general shots.

Forget England. Go to Wales. North Wales for mountains and castles. West Wales for beaches and cliff-top walking and views.

I am anticipating the rain, especially after reading Donald's post about "Flute". I hadn't really considered Wales. My husband will be in South England, the reason for heading there. May save Wales for another trip, if I'm lucky enough.