Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 50D shots

50D shots

some shots from my 50D and a 70-200F4L lens....
    I had assumed my step up from a Rebel XTI to 50D would automatically make my an Uber Photographeriche however I am learning that 50d is not as forgiving as the XTI and that you got too really make sure your settings are right....So here is a white Heron...cropped no shaprening or anything
    50D shots
    50D shots
    50D shots

A moon...with birghtness adjusted to show detail
    50D shots

and a humingbird with a wee bit sharpening...I lost alot going from raw to jpg..
    50D shots

Please critique and abuse me...
    Last edited by kevinbythebeach; 6th September 2009 at 07:37 PM.

Real Name
    Will

Re: 50D shots

Id say that hummingbird could do with a little bit of a crop if the resolution could stand it, though the defocussed edge frames it well. And it seems that getting the moon would depend more on the lens than the camera.

The first heron is good, but the second looks a little blown in the feathers, and maybe with a bit of space between its wings and the top of the frame if its available

Yah..the second Heron shot...I had my focus point down towards his feet when he jumped so the feet area is sharp and it gets duller towards the top....the top of that frame is the top of the picture...I am not happy with it either...

Someone asked me to post some 50D images with an L lens so I did...Yup the Herons are blown a bit...didnt feel liek doing much editing...trying to show natural image quality of the combination.

Real Name
    Jim

Yep, coming from a 40D I noticed the same thing about the 50D.Nailing exposure is a lot more critical,but when you do you'll be very happy with results.All though blown some,I like both the heron photos.Like the framing on hummingbird too.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    some shots from my 50D and a 70-200F4L lens....
    I had assumed my step up from a Rebel XTI to 50D would automatically make my an Uber Photographeriche however I am learning that 50d is not as forgiving as the XTI and that you got too really make sure your settings are right....So here is a white Heron...cropped no shaprening or anything

Please critique and abuse me...
    1........I think is a very good shot. The only thing i see is the wave is a bit distracting. Perhaps a little more blur in the background would have helped, but still very good as is.

2.........It looks like you just wern't ready and flat out missed your oppertunity at that shot. I like the content of the photo, but you just missed the focus and composition. That's the way it goes with wildlife.

3.........This one would look alot better from a different angle, or if you waited till the heron turned some. Im my oppinion straight on shots are less appealing. It also looks like the focus is a bit off or the shutter speed was a bit slow.

4........The moon is a very tough subject (at least i think so). If you took that with a 200mm , then you did a Great job. If you play around with the white ballance and boost the saturation you can get some color in it and make it a little more interesting. Also sharpening with edge detect(in a grayscale layer mask) will enhance the craters without oversharpening the other areas.

5.......The humming bird ..........................Lets just say you were no where near close enough to get a good shot. I use a 420mm lens at about 8 to 10 feet and still have to crop some. They are tough little birds to get a clean shot at and you HAVE to be close .

as far as number 5 the humming bird...I was actually about 5-7 feet away..but i was shooting through a gap in branches of a small tree to the other side on which it was sitting...so the entire rest of the image is blurred which is why i had to crop it like it is....

yah i wish i could have gotten it differently...but couldnt

oh and its a mauch larger image than showing...either the Host compressed it or CiC did...

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    as far as number 5 the humming bird...I was actually about 5-7 feet away..but i was shooting through a gap in branches of a small tree to the other side on which it was sitting...so the entire rest of the image is blurred which is why i had to crop it like it is....

yah i wish i could have gotten it differently...but couldnt

oh and its a mauch larger image than showing...either the Host compressed it or CiC did...
    I didn't realize you were so close..............all i was getting at was the you need to fill the frame with the subject(hummingbird). It is taking such a small portion of the frame in your shot.
    They are such tiny birds it really takes alot of lens to get them up close, and then they move so dang fast you're lucky to get a shot off

Please don't take my critique as a personal attack, because it wasn't. You asked for critique and i gave my honest oppinion in hopes it helps your photography. Which i appreciate others critique on my photos as well, because it really helps me understand how others view my work.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    I didn't realize you were so close..............all i was getting at was the you need to fill the frame with the subject(hummingbird). It is taking such a small portion of the frame in your shot.
    They are such tiny birds it really takes alot of lens to get them up close, and then they move so dang fast you're lucky to get a shot off

Please don't take my critique as a personal attack, because it wasn't. You asked for critique and i gave my honest oppinion in hopes it helps your photography. Which i appreciate others critique on my photos as well, because it really helps me understand how others view my work.

No NO nothing taken personal at all....

I may repost that shot later recropped and rehosted...it should be about 6 too 7 inches tall....I am not sure why its the way it is
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 8th September 2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: fix quote tag