Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Itty Bitty Trouble

Real Name
    Benny

Itty Bitty Trouble

Itty Bitty Trouble

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Itty Bitty Trouble

Had an acquaintance who was a medical photographer with all the macro gear. He used to beg/borrow/steal from the histology lab a can of stuff that I think was called cryokwik which when sprayed on a scene like this would immediately drop the little beasties body temperatures to about -70 deg C. Once the ice crystals had evaporated he could take photographs in safety at his leisure. By my reckoning with the amount of fluorocarbons he released into the atmosphere he is the culprit for global warming.

I admire your bravery. Interesting photograph but not quite enough depth of field.

Real Name
    Benny

I saw these after I had walked so close to them that the brim of my hat could not have been 1.5 feet from them, but they did not attack, perhaps because I didn't stop. That is usually close enough to get some warning shots from Yellow Jackets if not a full blown attack.
    Was worried the flash would get them going but all seemed quiet.
    Been thinking about taking a small mirror back there and trying that with sunlight instead of a flash.
    Yes depth of field for sure, the next time I will be calmer, I was shakin a little and thoughts not steady, (those three in the top right looked like they werent happy with me)
    next time I will get a decent one off I hope.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

You should be aware that people that comment on other peoples photographs are a calous bunch and do not care about the dangers and perils the photographer may face. From our armchairs we can suggest all sorts of better ways and places to stand to improve the photographs we view with no regard to the fact that it may result in the photographers death.

Real Name
    Benny

Yep thats what Im here for.

Real Name
    Bobo

A brave man indeed.

Shot something similar a while back with a macro lens which was probably no more then 2-3 inches from them. They did'nt budge so my reckoning is that as long as there is no physical contact it should be ok. But always better to be careful...

If you do try again, may I suggest you use a long lens, tripod, small aperture and a flash either diffused or bounced off something in the vicinity instead of directly. That way you stay a safe distance, tripod will help with the slower shutter speed and flash will take care of the fill.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Are these the things that live in nests burrowed into the ground?

If so, I once stood on nest when I was in the US working on a summer camp, near Thompson PA. We were tightening up the ropes on the big tent up in the woods where the kids spent one night each week. I was re-locating a tent peg and as I hit hard on the peg a cloud of (I'm sure it was) these little darlings emerged from the ground. Anyway, the local guys said that's what they were.

Can't remember how many stings I got, but it was only afterwards that I was told how dangerous they could be. I was laid up for about 24 hours. Not a pleasant experience.

As far as I know, we don't have them over here.

Real Name
    Mark

wow! to close for me, i have severe anaphylactic shock from wasps and bees, must be in hospital within half an hour or its curtains!!

Real Name
    Benny

Donald you are talking about "ground" jackets which are a relative of these and one of the meanest bugs in North America.
    Once they come out of the ground they will not leave you alone until you are well away from their hive.
    I once saw an exposed hive in a sheared off river bank while arrowhead hunting that stunned me as it was at least 6 feet into the ground and 10 feet wide, a huge thing, I had no idea their hives were so big.

These little darlings that I photographed Aren't as fierce as their cousins but they will let you have it in unison if you disturb them. As children we feared them worst of all as they tend to be in bushes round the house etc.

Real Name
    Benny

I have an 18-55 and a 70-300 and a good tripod any suggestions for settings on this appreciated.