Thread: Missing Pixels in Images

Missing Pixels in Images

Once in a while I have started seeing that my images are missing a bunch of pixels written.
    Sample here - http://sdrv.ms/VAvhqd .

I am seeing this with 16GB PNY class 6 card. It is rated at 15MB/s and I was hoping that was good enough for still images and I was not trying to capture multiple shots. I have a canon t2i and this was with a 70-200.

Is my assumption that this is due to a bad memory card correct?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Missing Pixels in Images

It does look as if your assumption is correct but have you tried formatting the card? It looks like some sort of file corruption. Do you shoot raw or jpeg, is the missing/corrupt image data always in the same part of the picture and/or the same pattern? I assume it does not happen with a different card?

Thanks for the response Paul. Happened a couple of times in my last shoot. Yet to try with a different card. I shoot raw images and there is no pattern to the positions of these missed pixels which kind of confirms my theory.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I assume you purchased your card from a reputable source; there are lots of flaky counterfeit cards out in the wild.

Check your owner's manual for "approved" cards. I had problems with a reputable brand purchased from a reputable supplier. My D90 would choke on a Verbatim 32GB card, yet it works fine in my D800 and my Panasonic AF100 video camera.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

They do not appear to be missing pixels but a pattern of corrupt data. However you did not mention if you have formatted the card. Does the image look OK when viewing in camera - if so it maybe being corrupted during transfer to your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    They do not appear to be missing pixels but a pattern of corrupt data. However you did not mention if you have formatted the card. Does the image look OK when viewing in camera - if so it maybe being corrupted during transfer to your computer.
    You are right. The image looks fine when viewed directly on the card. I imported the photos using Lightroom on to my computer. Not sure if something went wrong there. I will try a manual copy once and import from my hard disk next time.

Thanks for the responses guys!