Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: disquietude

disquietude

Using the Orton Effect again and a bit of curves to add to the drama of this storm that was threatening us in Alberta, Canada. (BTW-that was the norm the entire 7 days we were there, with a tiny break here and there. sigh.)

disquietude.jpg

disquietude.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 5th September 2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: add image inline

Re: disquietude

nice.. a wee small and the mtn and trees are too dark...can barely make them out...

Real Name
    David

Hi Susan - I think this image is good. Normally, I associate the Orton Effect with the ethereal, dreamy look, but here it makes the storm look decidedly eerie. Good title. I might have used a bit of perspective correction to make the trees look absolutely vertical and a bit of cropping to put the main trees about 1/3 of the way from the LHS. But these are just thoughts.

Cheers

David

Thanks for commentary!
    In post, I purposefully darkened the landscape with curves as I wanted a mood of apprehension and fear. I wanted the glow of the Orton Effect to show power. There you have it, a bit of my thought process that brought this image to it's present state.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I'm not sure if others suffer the same fate as my eyes, but I'm finding the lack of sharpness apparently inherent in this "Orton effect" makes the resultant images very hard to look at ... almost as if my eyes are "hunting" for correct focus. I have to look at something sharp every few seconds to "re-align" my vision.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

It's not my favourite effect, that explanation may be why

Couldn't put my finger on it before.

And besides, I get the same effect much quicker if I just take off my glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I'm not sure if others suffer the same fate as my eyes, but I'm finding the lack of sharpness apparently inherent in this "Orton effect" makes the resultant images very hard to look at ... almost as if my eyes are "hunting" for correct focus. I have to look at something sharp every few seconds to "re-align" my vision.
    I had never heard of this Orton effect until reading this forum posting. So I found several dozen such images on the web and concluded that, for me, it goes against the grain of spending lots of $$$$ to get sharp lenses. It's like the difference between "fine art" and "crafts".

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I see what you mean Barry, although some might say that painting a picture with a big (blurry) brush (who said "Rolf Harris"?) is no less art than say, Turner. it still requires skill, as I know you're not disputing.

No offense intended to Barry, Susan, Turner or, bless him; Rolf.

no problem... we all interpret and find beauty in a multitude of ways. Hopefully, we can all agree on that point!