Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Images from Yellowstone N.P.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Images from Yellowstone N.P.

Here are some images I took while going through Yellowstone Nat'l Park in early June. Unfortunately I didn't do enough research beforehand to figure out how to get backed up far enough away from the Grand Prismatic Spring to get the entire pool in the frame so all I have of it are images of the runoff. As you can see, it was a perfect day for midday pictures - just the right amount of clouds and no haze. One thing I was surprised to see was the small field of flowers appearing to struggle making a stand amidst the minerals and microbes near the Spring. Any C & C are welcomed.

Hayden Valley Images from Yellowstone N.P.

Pelican Creek Images from Yellowstone N.P.

Runoff from Grand Prismatic Spring Images from Yellowstone N.P.

More runoff from GPS Images from Yellowstone N.P.

Field of Flowers near GPS Images from Yellowstone N.P.

Opal Pool Images from Yellowstone N.P.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Images from Yellowstone N.P.

Nice color! I especially like the second image.

I actually don't think it's possible to get the entire Prismatic unless you do it from an airplane or helicopter. I don't remember ever seeing one captured from the ground.

Excellent photos, definitely worth viewing at full screen size.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'm sure I've got some of those same views on transparencies from way back in 1990. Must look them out and really think about getting them scanned.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Nice color! I especially like the second image.

I actually don't think it's possible to get the entire Prismatic unless you do it from an airplane or helicopter. I don't remember ever seeing one captured from the ground.
    Thanks, Mike. That's an interesting take because when I talked about the trip after coming back, I would say that the Pelican Creek and Valley area was my favorite part. I think I have a marshy meadow fetish ... it's so peaceful and calming to be around it.

About the Prismatic, I talked to a professional photographer yesterday who told me there is a winding pathway that you can walk on to get to such a spot but it's a good hike, he said. Not from the boardwalk, of course.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Lon, nice set of images of Yellowstone. If you want to get the entire Grand Prismatic Spring, you'll need to climb the hill behind it and shoot down on the pool from above as in the following video: http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2009/1...d-a-new-video/

Real Name
    Terri

Beautiful! I also like the 2nd one best, especially intriguing as I've thinking a lot lately about the proper use of foreground elements. This is a great example of that.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Thanks very much for that link, Frank. It looks like he started his hike from about where I took this picture:

You have to take a bridge across the Firehole River from this spot to get to the boardwalk taking you to the Spring. To get to HIS vantage point though, it appears he stayed on this side of the river. This is good stuff, because now I know what it takes to walk to where he shot from. At my age I might just opt for the chopper! Thanks again!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    Thanks very much for that link, Frank. It looks like he started his hike from about where I took this picture:

Hi Ron, Google Earth is fantastic for finding ways to get to things you can't see from the ground.

About a mile south of this location on the Grand Loop Road, there is a loop parking area on the west side of the road that starts a trail and bridge across the Firehole River that goes north behind the spring and Goose Lake. Most of the trail is fairly level until you get to the base of the hill behind the Spring. From what I can see it is only the side trail going up the hill that would be steep but you may have a mile walk along the trail to get to that point.

Real Name
    Sergio

Lon, what a great set of images. I really enjoyed viewing them. I will have to go there some day.

Serge

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Quote Originally Posted by unmerited View Post
    Lon, what a great set of images. I really enjoyed viewing them. I will have to go there some day.

Serge
    Thanks Serge ... you'll love it! To see a lot, you need to stay a while ... but I would see all the geyser basins for sure.

Great shots.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Sure is a beautiful place. You captured it in a great manner. TFS.

Real Name
    Joanne Van Praag

Wonderful images, incredible colour, would love to go and see it myself but have watched so many documentaries on how Yellowstone is about to expload with a super volcano that I am just Chicken!!!!!!!