Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New to cameras - lots of newbie questions

New to cameras - lots of newbie questions

Just joined this forum. Looking to learn as much about photography as possible.

I have a Canon PowerShot G7 to play around with but no lenses. I am still a n00b when it comes understanding the technical terms ISO, light meter and how to achieve certain effects and looks without heavy image manipulation.

I also have a lot of question and hope people do not get annoyed by me asking some uber noobish questions.

Re: Hello

Welcome! There's lots of knowledge and experience here, ask away!

I have quick question. How do you reduce the size of 10mp photo to upload it on this forum...

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Shrink it prior to uploading using photoshop or the program that comes with your camera.

Re: New to cameras - lots of newbie questions

And ideally, no wider than 700px please, so it flows with the forum nicely.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

If attaching here (so they appear in post as a clickable thumbnail, selected using the paperclip icon), it needs to be a jpg and less than 97kB - so check before uploading or you'll have to do it again. (everytime I do this, you'd think I'd learn )

If I select the 640 x 480 size when reducing, I find the file is still bigger than 97kB, so you may need to go smaller still, and/or select a somewhat lower than maximum jpg quality).

The other method; to make a picture actually appear within the post itself, is to upload them tp somewhere else on the web and get a direct link (URL) to that photo location and use that in the post for an image address (using the little mountains icon), it is when you do it this way that the 700px max width is actually most appropriate.

In either case, there's a FAQ on this sort of thing, and also the Suggestions & Feedback forum, so try there for beter guidance and the absolute rules rather than my version.

Hope this helps, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 25th June 2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Tidy up an earlier rushed answer

Real Name
    Ian

Resizer from resizer.com seems a quick and easy program to do as it says...resize pictures for web use and it is configurable to create size/dimensions you might want.

Very easy to use and free to download.

(Used it on my windows laptop, not sure if it works/has a version for Macs)

Thanks.
    I will try. i have ptoshop cs2