Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experiments with High ISOs

Real Name
    Bobo

Experiments with High ISOs

Seems no one is interested in a High ISO discussion - deleting....
    Last edited by Bobobird; 16th September 2012 at 06:11 PM.

Re: Experiments with High ISOs

I appear to have missed this post until now, when it appears to be too late.

Real Name
    Bobo

Sorry Geoff.

It could be one or all of

1 - everyone has fantastic high ISO capable cameras,
    2 - never want to or have shot at high ISO
    3 - unregistered visitors pushing the view count
    4 - members with a hit-and-run attitude.

Real Name
    Mark

hey bobo, put them up again mate, i looked once today but was in such a hurry i did not post, from what i remember, if you hadn't said i wouldn't have known they were high iso, there was very little noise and very crisp
    Last edited by darknight; 16th September 2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Hey Bobo,
    I was just getting around to posting on it and the pic's are gone. Been in church all morning so lets have another go at it will you. Thanks!

Carl

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Mark, Carl.

Big view count + no comment = POOR shots. Instead of reposting I will take some fresh shots today (playing with something else anyway) and if there is interest in high ISO stuff we can revisit the subject.

Like Mark, I sometimes just skip through the various posts and maybe just reply to one or two; intending to return when I have more time.

After seeing them on your linked site, I would say the noise level is acceptable but some of the higher Iso settings appear a little on the soft side. But that could also be partly due to other settings.

Up to Iso 1600 seems best.

I usually find that if I am increasing Iso slightly to get a faster shutter speed or narrower aperture I am in with a chance. But increasing to cope with poor light normally produces disappointing results.

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Bobo, Another couple of possible reasons;

a) Time differences around the world.
    b) Many with reasonable experience know that some cameras have better ISO performance than others. Also, how far they wish to push the ISO on their own camera is determined very much by what their final image is to be used for.

If a question had come up from a member about ISO and its use/affect in photography there would have no doubt been imediate help, answers and comments.

Real Name
    John

Or similiar subjects (or closely related) are being started elsewhere.

The Funk Band

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Don't let it get you down Bobo, it happens to me (and I'm sure others) as well.

I know when I look at postings, there are a number of reasons I might not be able to or want to comment at the time, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the image(s).

Now I wouldn't want you to get a swell head, but there are a number of postings that I really look forward to seeing and that includes yours!

By the way, I was out testing high ISO images today (with mixed results I might add), so I AM interested in this topic!

Real Name
    Orlando

Post it again Bobo. I've been away from my computer most of this weekend.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks for the supportive comments.

Here is the link to the pics
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1112784...eat=directlink

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Bobo,

I'm not technically proficient, but from a snapshooter's point of view, your pictures are beautiful.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I really don't think a lot about using high ISO to be honest; in low-light situations one often has to compromise between the limited DoF of a wide-aperture shot - or the possibility of motion/subject blur/movement - or the limited dynamic range of high ISO (with it's associated potential noise).

As a rule, high ISO degrades an image the least of the 3 (with the proviso that one doesn't under-expose or crop excessively).

So it's just another "tool in the box" as far as I'm concerned.

Real Name
    Mark

looking at them again i still think they are good, but this also is to do with a good light of day, i think so could be a little crisper but you have to look close(very close) i think where the high iso fails is in very low light where it will pick up more noice, so how about a couple of shots latter in the evening for comparison?

Real Name
    John

Now I want to go out and shoot at a higher ISO (during the day-I've been experimenting with low light lately )just to see how the images turn out. At first glance I thought why shoot so high, then I looked at the photo details and saw that you were using narrow apertures in most, plus fast shutter speeds. Was the time of day around noon?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks for the supportive comments.

Here is the link to the pics
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1112784...eat=directlink
    Thank you for sharing the link, Bobo. At these resolutions, I'm not seeing any noise issues.

In some of the testing I've done, the noise is not objectionable provided the subject and conditions lend themselves to high ISO and some noise reduction is applied in post processing.

On the other hand, I also found that some images had unacceptable noise so I still need to learn where, when, and how much I can push the ISO and still get an acceptable image. I need to do more testing!

Real Name
    Orlando

Thanks for re-posting the link. As others already said, there's not much of a noise issue but I do see there are some softening issues on the last few photos. It could use some sharpening. Of course there's a trade off on that. There was a post recently that discusses high ISO which has now convinced me that shooting in High ISO isn't as bad as it's been made out to be. See this post: Iso 6400 with corrected image

re: Experiments with High ISOs

I'm just learning all this stuff....., & this morning at 6am, I ran outside to experiment & set the iISO on my camera ,(i think this means infinity on my camera) ready to take a magnifcent,(ok in my mind only) , of the night sky litttle dipper only to find I set the camera on the tripod incorrectly & couldn't point it upwards enough so .... missed it all.
    sorely lacking the technical data.
    getting braver & Moving past autosettings for everything,
    I appreciate all the information & don't always respond as most is beyond me.
    diane

Real Name
    John

re: Experiments with High ISOs

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I'm just learning all this stuff....., & this morning at 6am, I ran outside to experiment & set the iISO on my camera ,(i think this means infinity on my camera) ready to take a magnifcent,(ok in my mind only) , of the night sky litttle dipper only to find I set the camera on the tripod incorrectly & couldn't point it upwards enough so .... missed it all.
    sorely lacking the technical data.
    getting braver & Moving past autosettings for everything,
    I appreciate all the information & don't always respond as most is beyond me.
    diane
    if I don't understand a term I'll either ask the original poster to explain or do a quick search. Don't let new terms stop you from inquiring further. What model of camera do you have?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast