Thread: beach huts at wells,norfolk

Real Name
    Paul

beach huts at wells,norfolk

well after getting out of bed at stupid o'clock this morning for another breakdown.only to find that the trucks wont be on site for 3 hours.i found myself walking around the beach at wells next to sea,norfolk at 6 am with time to kill.and what great feeling it is to be on near deserted beach.
    c&c welcome

Last edited by Bootsy; 16th September 2012 at 07:31 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: beach huts at wells,norfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    well after getting out of bed at stupid o'clock this morning for another breakdown .....
    It was worth it, Paul. On the evidence of this set, it was worth it. Well done.

I must admit that the more muted tones of that third one really, really appeal to me. I think it's good that you have put that and the one before together. It allows people to study and learn how colour and light can be treated differently for different effect.

Real Name
    Phil Page

yes - great light and pastel tones in #3

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This set is SO appealing. Sometimes posting one image is ideal and other times posting a set is ideal.

About the appeal of the muted tones: Have you considered cropping the second one to eliminate at least the pink hut and perhaps the yellow hut on the far left? Their intensity distract me a bit from the less intense colors in the row of huts.

I'm really a sucker for the foreground interest that you have in the last B&W one, so I especially like that one also.

Do you have an image that isolates the second hut from the right in the first image? I love the paddle built into the hut and the winding stairs with no hand rails. (Clearly, if they have a building code there, it's not being enforced. )

Please explain the situation of the huts. Are they rented to people visiting the beach? Can you stay overnight in them? Other details?

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Please explain the situation of the huts. Are they rented to people visiting the beach? Can you stay overnight in them? Other details?
    they have no running water or toilet and as far as i know you can't stay in them over night officially.but i know people do they sell for between £50,000 and £120,000 and most are nothing more than a nicely painted shed on a beach.i'd still like one
    this website maybe of interest to you http://www.beach-huts.com/beach-huts-for-sale.html

i liked the pink and yellow huts as i felt they gave the eye somewhere to start. but i know what you mean as they are more intense in colour than the others. with hindsight maybe i should of toned the pink and yellow huts down a bit.
    i still have a few more images to process so i'll post them up later.

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    It was worth it, Paul. On the evidence of this set, it was worth it. Well done.

I must admit that the more muted tones of that third one really, really appeal to me. I think it's good that you have put that and the one before together. It allows people to study and learn how colour and light can be treated differently for different effect.
    the different in light between the second and third images has alot to do with the clouds and facing to or away from the rising sun.i wish i was there about a hour earlier as it was getting really bright fast.i did have to wait around a bit for the clouds to cover the sun to make the light softer.i was trying to get it right in camera first instead of using lightroom so much.

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Do you have an image that isolates the second hut from the right in the first image? I love the paddle built into the hut and the winding stairs with no hand rails. (Clearly, if they have a building code there, it's not being enforced. )
    another view added

Real Name
    Gretchen

I don't think I've ever seen them in the US except in vintage photos. I think they were called "cabanas". Mostly just a place for ladies to preserve their respectability while changing into their bathing outfits. I guess one didn't walk from the auto to the beach without a corset???

I guess now they could be used to store all the beach toys and surf boards and such.

Real Name
    Paul

Nicely done Paul, I am with Donald and others that like #3 for the muted tones.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks for the added image, Paul. Really appreciate it!