Thread: Totally Quackers

Real Name
    Soozie

Totally Quackers

These shots were taken 2 days ago at a mini lake just around the corner from me. There are about 15 ducks living in this lake with eggs due to hatch any day I expect. The ducks are very used to people so meander where ever they want (including over the road - stopping all traffic) and down the foot paths.

I have used my learnings over the past few days and tried to crop to add more impact to the shots. I tried to bring out the eye in the second shot a little more but couldn't do it without compromising the fabulous colours of the feathers.

This little duck was very funny with the antics it produced for me. Hope you get the humour as well

As always please provide C&C so I can use it as a learning curve

1. Either this little duck had an itchy ear or didn't want to listen to the nagging from other ducks

Totally Quackers
    Itchy Ear by Soozie_Lou_B, on Flickr

2. Going for a stroll

Totally Quackers
    Going to pound the pavement by Soozie_Lou_B, on Flickr
    Last edited by Soozie B; 11th September 2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo

Real Name
    Sergio

Re: Totally Quackers

Soozie, I'm a newbie myself but I'm learning that sometimes it is about compromises (eye vs feathers).

I really like the first one. The duck seems to be saying: "Did I hear you right Soozie, you're going to be posting this on the internet"

Serge
    Last edited by Sergio M.; 11th September 2012 at 09:59 PM.

Real Name
    Bobo

That is the other thing about birds - catch them on the side the light is. That way you will get the catch lights in the eyes. Always better to get even a glimmer of light in-camera then trying to fix in post.

#1 is a good catch. He is saluting you for taking his pic.

#2 would have been better if the eyes were showing but still a nice shot. Next time try to have more space on the side that he is looking into.

Real Name
    Soozie

Thanks Bobo and Serge. I will work on getting to the right side of these beautiful characters. Especially with the little ones pending arrival! I'm a bit like an expectant grandmother. I can't wait

Real Name
    Joe

Hello Soozie, nice images. You are learning the travails of a nature/bird photographer. The bird always seems to be in the wrong place or facing the wrong direction, but when it all comes together is the capture you will remember.

Real Name
    Soozie

Hi Joe.

You are right about that. For me, half the fun is sitting there waiting. Seems that photography is also maturing my skills in patience as well.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Wildlife can be tough never know what there going to do next. I do like the first one, good catch

Real Name
    Soozie

Thank Paul