Thread: More of what I hate to do...

Real Name
    Jon

More of what I hate to do...

As I have stated in the past, I really do not like photographing people. But, I have to give it a shot every once in a while(just to re-affirm my feeling). We were at a beer fest the other day and the lead singer of the band had such an engaging personality and so much energy I wanted to try and capture the feeling. Don't know if I did that but he seemed pleased when I e-mailed the pics to him.

C&C always welcomed. Give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

Re: More of what I hate to do...

I think you have succeeded extremely well in doing what you set out to do! It's very clear from the expressions on his face that he loves doing what he is doing and you've captured that beautifully. Great set of images in my book.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I agree with Carl. I particularly like that you have got in quite close and so we are taken in to the pictures.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

As much as I agree with Carl and Donald about the specific attributes, the bright background in the first four photos is a significant distraction for me. I want at least something in #5 to be sharp, though nothing is.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Hey Jon, It's always good to go back and try what we think we hate --sometimes we find something new in it . . . At least that's what I've learned. I like how you've captured the subject. The background people are a distraction to me. If you could somehow deemphasize them in PP, that would be all that is needed I think. Blur them or something easy. The open mouth in #3 isn't complementary to the subject --but I don't know if the rules are different because he is singing. Other than that, I really like these shots. His emotion is so pure!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    The open mouth in #3 isn't complementary to the subject --but I don't know if the rules are different because he is singing.
    Yes, that's a very natural look for a singer that I believe is very well done.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Hi Jon

It's definitely good to get out of your comfort zone and try shooting something different. It's worked well here. By the looks of the crops and framing it seems as if you were a way back from the performer - don't be afraid to get closer and look for clearer backgrounds if there's the chance. A waggle of your camera between songs with a positive response will give you the assurance that the performer doesn't mind at all and you'll feel more confident

Real Name
    Jon

Phil, Mike, Gretchen, Donald and Carl. Thank you so much for your comments. All of your comments are benneficial to my learning curve, which is pretty steep I might add.