Thread: Around the Cape in B&W

Real Name
    Phil Page

Around the Cape in B&W

I had a 3 day visit to South Africa last August, which was one of the last trips my wife and I took before we had an addition to the family (no chance for travel photos recently, or getting out much to shoot!) These work well in colour but when converting to B&W it really brought out the sun rays in some shots, so they're all in B&W for consistency here.

Simonstown - A quick grab on a day tour - unfortunately we didn't have much time to explore or for me to shoot, so just a grab. Nice to have skies which react nicely to a pp red filter for a change

Around the Cape in B&W

Devil's Peak - On the climb up to the base station for the cable car to the top of Table Mountain

Around the Cape in B&W

Cable Car - Viewed from the rim of Table Mountain

Around the Cape in B&W

Looking inland from Table Mountain

Around the Cape in B&W

Baby penguin on the lookout for mum and dad at Simonstown

Around the Cape in B&W

Baboon taking a stroll - during winter they come down to the coast to forrage

Around the Cape in B&W

The Cape of Good Hope - otherwise known as the Cape of Storms, and for good reason

Around the Cape in B&W

Klein Constantia vineyard, with Table Mountain in the background

Around the Cape in B&W

Cable Car viewed from Table Mountain, with the Lion's Head peak in the background

Around the Cape in B&W

Real Name
    Debbie

Re: Around the Cape in B&W

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    I had a 3 day visit to South Africa last August, which was one of the last trips my wife and I took before we had an addition to the family (no chance for travel photos recently, or getting out much to shoot!) These work well in colour but when converting to B&W it really brought out the sun rays in some shots, so they're all in B&W for consistency here.

Simonstown - A quick grab on a day tour - unfortunately we didn't have much time to explore or for me to shoot, so just a grab. Nice to have skies which react nicely to a pp red filter for a change

Around the Cape in B&W

Devil's Peak - On the climb up to the base station for the cable car to the top of Table Mountain

Around the Cape in B&W

I really love these shots. How do you convert to Black & White? These are so crisp, I love the conversion.

Debbie

Cable Car - Viewed from the rim of Table Mountain

Around the Cape in B&W

Looking inland from Table Mountain

Around the Cape in B&W

Baby penguin on the lookout for mum and dad at Simonstown

Around the Cape in B&W

Baboon taking a stroll - during winter they come down to the coast to forrage

Around the Cape in B&W

The Cape of Good Hope - otherwise known as the Cape of Storms, and for good reason

Around the Cape in B&W

Klein Constantia vineyard, with Table Mountain in the background

Around the Cape in B&W

Cable Car viewed from Table Mountain, with the Lion's Head peak in the background

Around the Cape in B&W

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks Debbie

Using photoshop from the original RAW file into a colour shot, then using Nik Software Color Efex and Silver Efex

Real Name
    Miltos

Excellent as always Phil.
    I particularly like:

#2 (Devils peak) probably it would be better to show a bit more of the tree on the left but don't know if that would be possible.

and #3 (cable car) I found excellent the contrast of the cable car which is totally in front of the clouds.

I am afraid however that some photographs are too small.

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    Thanks Debbie

Using photoshop from the original RAW file into a colour shot, then using Nik Software Color Efex and Silver Efex

thanks for that information. Your shots are really really nice.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks for posting this excellent series, Phil. I'll make a point of showing it to my wife, as we already have the itinerary set for a visit there as part of our 30th anniversary trip.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Take time to enjoy the vineyards, Mike! Unfortunately we didn't as:

a) it was a 3 day trip
    b) my wife was pregnant and could taste the vino!

I'll have to take a look but I think I have the contact details of the guy who took us round the Cape on a day tour. He was very knowledgeable and we could go at our own pace.

Also there was a photo tour company I contacted but I couldn't fit in time to go on an excursion. You can pick from a variety of itineraries and visit some great spots for iconic pictures around the Cape and Table Mountain. You could combine your photography with your wife's other interests if they're different.

http://www.photographytours.co.za/

Or you could just go cage diving with Great Whites - that'll be an anniversary present to remember!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks, Phil! If you do find the contact information of the person who took you on your day tour, I'm looking for someone to do that through the nearby wineries. I want to do the tasting without having to worry about drinking and driving. The person I select will need to have significant knowledge of the specialties of the major and minor wineries.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Klein Constantia - recommend the Vin de Constance desert wine - honey heaven

And there's a eatery at The Waterfront with an enormous wine list - it comes as a newspaper. Great to catch up on the wines you've missed or particularly enjoyed by the glass