Thread: Car Show - practicing manual exposure again

Real Name
    Terri

Car Show - practicing manual exposure again

If I'd known my husband was going to drag me to a car show, I'd have studied the Automobile 101 thread. But I took it as an opportunity to practice more shooting in Manual mode. As the cars drove in, it was excellent practice to think quickly on getting correct exposure going from such varying tones. I took over 250 images.

My successes: pretty good exposures in varying light conditions
    My failures: constantly forgetting to adjust the polarizer and constantly forgetting that the hood gets in the way when zooming out to 18-20mm

C&C welcome and appreciated

Real Name
    Sergio

Re: Car Show - practicing manual exposure again

Terri, I'm just a newbie so my opinion may not be worth much, but the exposures look great. The colors are so bright and vivid. Keep using manual. As far as I'm concerned you're dong a fine job.

I especially like #2 and #3.

Serge

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks, Serge, for taking the time to view and comment.

#3 is my favorite I think because it has a decent composition.

Real Name
    Sergio

Terri, I hope you don't mind me asking a question. What metering mode did you use and what did you meter off when taking these photos?

Thanks.

Serge

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    My successes: pretty good exposures in varying light conditions
    My failures: constantly forgetting to adjust the polarizer and constantly forgetting that the hood gets in the way when zooming out to 18-20mm
    Once you reach this point of being able to critically appraise yourself and use it as learning, then you are on your way. And it shows in these images. I think it's a strong set.

The one I particularly like is
    The reason being that, in my eyes anyway, is really is a documentary/social commentary image. It's not just an image of cars, but there's a whole story about a town wrapped up in it. And I think it works really well.

I do think it needs a twist clockwise (or perspective correction), as all the buildings are leaning in. Although you could argue that this is a part of the image in this case, I don't think it works as well as if the buildings were straightened.

Real Name
    Terri

Serge, on these I was using Canon's Evaluative Metering. I usually use Spot Metering because I'm usually taking wildlife photos and it seems to work better, but I've been trying EM for a few weeks now. Either way, I'm looking at the histogram to see if I think I've made the right exposure choice and adjusting from there if necessary.

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks Donald for your feedback. This image was the one that I spent the most time thinking about composition and then waiting for the right moment to click. Most of the others were just trying to get an angle with the least glare and with a clear view of the subject. On this one I was squatting in the middle of the street for quite a while waiting for people to move from the main focal points. In hindsight, I do wish I'd moved left a bit more to maybe see more of the back of the cars but I'm still pretty happy with the shot.

Here is the straightened image. Thanks for pointing it out. Funny once you did, it's so obvious!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In hindsight, I do wish I'd moved left a bit more to maybe see more of the back of the cars but I'm still pretty happy with the shot.
    I don't think so. I think you've got the composition just spot-on. If you'd moved further left, you'd have changed the angles - the roofline would have looked very different and we'd have been more 'face-on' to the buildings that then might have come to dominate over the vehicles. We wouldn't have the same compression on the signs and flags - they would have become more spaced out and the whole thing would look less busy. For me it works just as well as it possibly could.

All you need to do now is sit back and enjoy it.

Real Name
    Sergio

Serge, on these I was using Canon's Evaluative Metering. I usually use Spot Metering because I'm usually taking wildlife photos and it seems to work better, but I've been trying EM for a few weeks now. Either way, I'm looking at the histogram to see if I think I've made the right exposure choice and adjusting from there if necessary.
    I too use spot metering. If I'm outside and depending on available light I will start with the sunny 16 rule or a vairation of it and work from there. If lighting is more complex or I have a specific object in mind I will spot meter and try to expose for what I consider important/preferred in my shot.

Thank you for taking the time to explain how you went about getting your shots.

Serge

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    ...If you'd moved further left, you'd have changed the angles - the roofline would have looked very different and we'd have been more 'face-on' to the buildings that then might have come to dominate over the vehicles. We wouldn't have the same compression on the signs and flags...
    Thank you Donald for pointing this out. I had not thought through how a change in perspective would affect those things and I think you are right. More of that tunnel vision on my part of concentrating on one area and losing the rest.

So I think I will sit back and enjoy!