Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Newbie trying to learn - photos of my baby

Real Name
    Hanson

Newbie trying to learn - photos of my baby

Hello,

Really new to photography (and this forum). Just trying to learn how to take better pictures of my baby.

Would welcome feedback, criticism, comments, suggestions, etc.

Should I crop the bottom a bit? The tiny part where the diaper shows seems to take away from the image

IMG_2556 by hansonlam1, on Flickr

Real Name
    Myra

Re: Newbie trying to learn - photos of my baby

Nice lighting. Maybe try a black and white conversion and crop a bit of the grey background at the top? The black and white might create a more pleasing blend into what is left of that area at the top and would look after any distraction the yellow band on the diaper might cause.

Real Name
    Richard

I played with cropping a bit of the grey off the top and then using the clone stamp tool to clone in the fur to cover the diaper. Then adding a sedate black border works also.

Real Name
    Hanson

Great suggestions. I'll give them a shot. Thanks!

Real Name
    Gretchen

After viewing a few threads here with baby pictures, I've decided there is no bad baby picture. I want to hold them all! I love his expression. You'll probably see it everytime you try to take his picture for the rest of your life. My teenager still gives me a similar look. "Can I move NOW?"

The only thing I see on this shot is possibly a little over exposure on his left temple. I'm new too, and working on lighting, so I might be a bit hyper-particular right now. Blurry hand doesn't bother me at all, it's the faces I love. Thanks for posting.

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi, You have done very well with focus on the eyes and the lighting. What I would suggest is that you take pictures at different angles rather than the 'straight on look' to make them a bit more interesting.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Hi, I hope you do not mind but it seemed easier to illustrate what I would do. Just using a clone tool you can get rid of the distracting grey background. Did it quickly but if you do it carefully on a full size image you should get a better result. My wife spotted me editing and commented what a lovely baby.

Increasing canvas size on right hand side and cloning down the edge would give a little more room for the finger that is on the edge of the photo. Simplest to just check background for distractions when taking the photo.

Last edited by pnodrog; 4th September 2012 at 09:09 AM.

Real Name
    Hanson

Again, awesome feedback. I'll incorporate that into the digital edits too..Great!

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    After viewing a few threads here with baby pictures, I've decided there is no bad baby picture. I want to hold them all!
    Gretchen, I know what you mean! I feel the same about pictures of dogs! However, there are some pictures that are a bit better than others. IMO, this image is an excellent start and only needed a tiny bit of PP to make it really nice...

Real Name
    Terry

Hi thetamax8!

I wouldn't really have anything else to add to what's already been said except for this...

Where the heck did that child get that magnificent head of hair? I'm more than a little jealous!

Oh, and maybe if you'd like to include your first name in your profile that would be nice. Maybe even where on the Planet you are located?

Looking forward to seeing some more shots of your baby, thetamax8!

Real Name
    Gretchen

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Gretchen, I know what you mean! I feel the same about pictures of dogs! However, there are some pictures that are a bit better than others. IMO, this image is an excellent start and only needed a tiny bit of PP to make it really nice...
    It certainly is an excellent start --I might be a big jealous. Only, I don't know if it is Thetamax talent or the fact that I CAN'T HOLD THAT BABY!!!

LOL