Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Teaching children photography

Real Name
    Ali

Teaching photography to young children

Yesterday, I took my son (you all know him very well ) to a music school for children, to start learning music. But when I was there, seeing all the different methods they have for kids who can't even hold the instrument yet, like petting zoos for them to just touch the instruments, or movement classes just to get conditoned to the tones and sounds, I was thinking how can you teach a young kid photography?

I am sure you guys have a lot of experience in this regard. Your parents have probably influenced you and you did it perhaps for your kids. I thought it would be great if you could share your methods or experiences here.

Should you start with a cheap camera or a reasonably good one? Digital? If so, that means they are supposed to edit the pictures also? Then they have to use the computer, even if they can, it means spending a lot of time behind it, even just to watch the pictures they have taken and computer is usually a no no in most houses for kids or at least that much exposure to it is. And most importantly, at what age would you start to seriously teach them?

Anyway, I think it is a good hobby (or is it? I mean for a young kid with school and everything). And best of all, that means I will have a few pictures of myself!

Thanks,

Alis
    Last edited by Alis; 30th August 2009 at 05:18 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Teaching photography to young children

Depends on thier age and dexterity.

I might be tempted to suggest starting with the disposable (film) camera, not worth so much if they drop/smash it. They have the anticipation of getting the pics back from the lab, etc.

My kids progressed to cheap and nasty digital cameras (e.g. VGA) and they were awful, I'm sure the lens was sub-VGA resolution

However, thinking about it, that obviously didn't really work for mine, as none of them have the bug yet (and I did at their age).

So DON'T do what I just suggested!

OK Plan B
    Start with a decent-ish RUGGED/waterproof camera, so they can take it anywhere (and lose it!).
    For now, Mum or Dad does the downloading and PP - afterall, slightly squarer eyes won't make any difference at your age Do it over night so they have the printed pics in the morning.
    This also has the benefit of immediacy, in the end (with Plan A) I found sending the films off to a lab for processing was a time consuming chore, granted less time than I now spend on PP I know.

As they grow, they'll become interested in how the pics get from the camera to paper, so you can show them when they are ready. Then they get square eyes

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Teaching children photography

I too think age is important and so is understanding and dexterity, - and also the ability to concentrate for a minute or two on a single interesting task or subject - unless exceptionally gifted I think about five or six is when some reasonable interest and capability would be there.

With the digital age a simple P&S is the option, IMO.

We had one laying around and it was picked up by my daughter when she was about eight to take the "Party Photos" - I was very comfortable letting her use my 645 film gear when she was about 10 years old - the thing is if the child is interested they will want to know the "how" it is just a matter of training in the correct handling protocols - like

Using the neck strap is number 1.

And NO RUNNING is number 2.

If you have a P&S see what your son can do with it - the thing with digital it is instant review - so you can help him evaluate his efforts - immediately.

The very first element to "teach" a young child (5 to 8 ish) is Elementary Composition - I am quite firm in that belief . . . the technical stuff can come later . . . this also is where a simple P&S has a great advantage.

WW

How old is he? Are these too 'young'? Kids Cameras

I'd concentrate on composition to start with, as bad habits learnt at an early age are hard to lose. Aren't kids supposed to know everything technical anyway? Give him 'projects' based around a theme such as 'other people's animals' That will help him explore more with the camera.

My dad started me on photography when I was nine, with his old Rollei Flex (and then Hasselblad) film camera. I introduced photography to my kids when they were 7 and 9. I would recommend getting a second hand older digital camera. I would've preferred them to both start with film, but it's getting harder to find places that develops them locally.

It's more "attention span", willing to "listen and learn", and ability/maturity to problem solve that dictates on whether your child is ready. Otherwise he's just going to snap away for the instant gratification.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 31st August 2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: adds

Real Name
    Ali

I completely forgot about this thread. Sorry.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think it is very helpful to know other people's stories.

Rob, my son is 3 right now, too young but he uses my Canon Powershot 1000 as a point and shoot camera and when he wants my SLR, I give him an old bulky 4 MP Konica Minolta Dimage from my old days.

Alis
    Last edited by Alis; 10th September 2009 at 01:48 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

We are blessed by digital

The opportunity for kids (and everyone else) to learn photography is far greater with today's digital media than it was for me as a kid.

I never had enough money to shoot the amount of imagery that I wanted to. I never had a darkroom to learn how to manipulate imagery. I never had immediate feedback on the photographs that I could afford to shoot and get printed, And, most of all, I never had the feedback from other photographers on my imagery.

Get a child a lower priced digital camera and a memory card or two. Teach the child how to use the computer to download and to communicate about those images with others.

I did a quick Google search with "teaching kids photography" as the search parameters and here's a few kits I got...

http://www.digitalphotography4kids.c...FSn6agodHCqNPg

http://www.kidica.com/kids-entertain...otography.aspx

http://teachingkidsphotography.com/

http://digital-photography-school.co...al-photography

http://www.chiff.com/art/photo/kids.htm

And many, many more hits. Google is a plethora of information on any subject...

Real Name
    Pops

Re: We are blessed by digital

Thanks for the links. I just got roped into teaching a photography class for the local county homeschool association. I feel pretty comfortable with it, but still need all the backup I can get.

Pops